Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there, 

I have a one year old spectre x360 and recently the volume bar is constantly present and at 100 in the top left corner of the screen. When i try to turn it down it automatically turns back up. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver as well as run an update and neither worked. Please let me know what other steps i can do to fix this issue. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@almeg

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

Usually, that will appear when you adjust the volume through Keys on your Keyboard. It will automatically hide after some seconds. Moreover rebooting your PC should have fixed this. Not to worry!🙂 I'd be happy to help.

I’d like additional information in order to troubleshoot
When was the last time it worked fine?
Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Let's try the below steps:

1. Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without space) and hit Enter.
  2. Spot and expand the “Sound, video and game controllers”.
  3. Right click on the High Definition Audio Device driver and select “Disable”. When it prompts to choose an option, click OK. Close the Window, come back and try to re-enable it. Now check if the issue still appears.
  4. If it does, then right click on the High Definition Audio Device driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see if it resolve the issue. (Recommended step)

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP pavilion 360 as well ive had it for a year and its fully updated, i had a slight accent recently with spilling water on the keyboard but i had the water removed professionally at a repair shop, when i first got it back the volume button wouldnt work at all but then it worked just fine after a few days. And now suddenly today the volume keeps shooting up to 100 by itself. I tried all the steps described and it still wont fix the issue, unless i totally disable the sound. 

HP Recommended

@Alpha_Akira

The water spillage might still be causing problems

I suggest you run an Audio Test and Keyboard Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio / Next Keyboard

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help, it said the keyboard was working fine, I just muted the sound for a few hours as the computer ran and eventually it stopped doing it on its own, i suspect there was still a bit of moisture left over and it cleared itself out after a while, thank you so much.

HP Recommended

@Alpha_Akira

You are right. The remaining moisture must be causing this issue on and off.

I'm glad it is working right now. Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.