Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After my laptop automatically did the update ive lost the sound from my external monitor. I connect to the monitor using an Anker docking station via USB. I have two screens connected and used to use one for the sound. Ive never had any issues or disconnected anything since the update. 

The options for sound in the "playback devices" are the laptop itself (Speaker/HP) and speakers (usb audio). I used to pick up my LG tv here and could use that but now it has been replaced by the USB audio which wasnt there before. 

I think the problem is its searching for an audio source through the USB connected dock instead of defaulting to the monitor. I dont know how to go about sorting this..

Ive tried disconnecting the dock and connecting the HDMI straight to the laptop and it does pick up the monitor then but theres no sound whatsover from it. I believe the drivers maybe the problem but I dont know how to resolve this?

Any help on how to pick up the monitor again for audio using the dock and also how to sort out the driver (if thats even the issue) would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Masson11,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding the computer losing audio after the Windows creator update when connected to an external monitor. It will be a pleasure to assist you here.

Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off you on that score. 🙂

• Did you try with multiple HDMI cables and check?
  • Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers and check again?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

For a start, please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Please check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.
  • You should have no sound now.
  • Then visit this link: http://hp.com/drivers  and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers.
  • Then check again by trying to hook up the computer to an external TV via HDMI cable. Try multiple HDMI cables. This should do the trick for you.
  • If this does not work, then uninstall the audio drivers again and check the box that says delete the software from this device from device manager. Then restart the computer.
  •  
  • Later install the drivers from recovery manager from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04762483 and install only the audio drivers. Then check again if this does the trick for you.
  • Finally for audio related issues please check this link for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-XT-15-Ultrabook/5296019/model/5333249/document/c01186...
  • and follow the audio related troubleshooting steps. Then check if this does the trick for you.

If it does not, please follow these steps:

Solution 1:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

Please ensure to perform all the steps patiently as it is critical to get the issue resolved. Please note that I am not loading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, I am providing more resources and information to your arsenal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Masson11,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding the computer losing audio after the Windows creator update when connected to an external monitor. It will be a pleasure to assist you here.

Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off you on that score. 🙂

• Did you try with multiple HDMI cables and check?
  • Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers and check again?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

For a start, please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Please check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.
  • You should have no sound now.
  • Then visit this link: http://hp.com/drivers  and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers.
  • Then check again by trying to hook up the computer to an external TV via HDMI cable. Try multiple HDMI cables. This should do the trick for you.
  • If this does not work, then uninstall the audio drivers again and check the box that says delete the software from this device from device manager. Then restart the computer.
  •  
  • Later install the drivers from recovery manager from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04762483 and install only the audio drivers. Then check again if this does the trick for you.
  • Finally for audio related issues please check this link for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-XT-15-Ultrabook/5296019/model/5333249/document/c01186...
  • and follow the audio related troubleshooting steps. Then check if this does the trick for you.

If it does not, please follow these steps:

Solution 1:

• Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

Please ensure to perform all the steps patiently as it is critical to get the issue resolved. Please note that I am not loading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, I am providing more resources and information to your arsenal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply. uninstalling all of the drivers and restarting seemed to fix the issue. The sound drivers now come under a completely different name but its works fine so thanks.

Theres no option at the bottom of your post to select as the solution...

But yeh thanks for the help. problems resolved

HP Recommended

Hi @Masson11,

I reviewed your post comprehensively. I am extremely happy that your computer's issue has been resolved. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you in this regard. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Please mark my public post as an accepted solution. 

Take care and have a blessed year ahead and stay healthy. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.