Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
6540b

001.png

I need to unlock my uncle's work laptop. His telco gave it as a gift upon retirement but he forgot the BIOS password. I tried to contact HP for help but the photo above is what I got hence I made a thread asking for a way to unlock it not knowing that the words I used were ' intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.'

So in this second thread attempting to get help on unlocking this 6540b, how can I do so if the website says that HP no longer services it and that I may search for possible solutions on this support website?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

001.png

HP Recommended

@pnvr8e 

I understand your frustration in this -- but YOU need to understand that no one here can do this for you -- because it simply is not possible!

The BIOS password is encrypted into something known as Firmware -- and that is stored INSIDE a chip on the system board inside the laptop.  That chip is not removable, so it can not be replaced with a new one.

That is how BIOS passwords work -- that is why they need to be written down -- because there is no code we or anyone else can give you to bypass the password.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

ironic that you try to do it the right and legal way buy the right and legal is no longer supported. you ask in the site where the people who would know most and have the experience with the fix what to do and for a work around and you get shot down. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.