Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

A hard disk error hard disk 1 (3f1)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi, my laptop HP Pavilion g6 is not working. When starting I get a hard disk error hard disk 1 (3f1)

I press the F2 system diagnostics and followed the instructions and then got a failure ID code. I have read and tried everything but nothing seems to work. My laptop is old and out of warranty but all I need is my files. I've tried taking out the hard disk drive and connecting with another pc through a SATA cable but I couldn't get my files as the hard drive would not show. I just want to know if there are any other possible solutions before spending money to fix it.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
8,931 8,826 725 3,261
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello @AbigailG 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

What you describe is caused by hard disk drive failure. Based on your description I can conclude that your files are totally inaccessible and the chances are low. Most likely you will not be able to recover or access them. The 3Fx error is a clear statement about the issue. The fact that even another PC cannot access or read the HDD is additional confirmation.

There are companies which offer data recovery and they are specialized in data recovery but still chances are low and I am unable to recommend you one.

• It is advisable that you always create a back up of your data on additional drive, additional resource, USB pen drive, external HDD, cloud Internet storage, etc.... to avoid potential data/info loss.

If you need assistance on replacing the corrupted HDD with a new one or how to reinstall Windows, post back and/or read this >> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Storage-Hard-Disk-Drive-corruption-and-replac...

Hope this helps. Your update or feedback is appreciated

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

AbigailG
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, I'll have to take my laptop to the store and see what can be done. Thank you for replying back.

Level 15
Level 15
8,931 8,826 725 3,261
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for your update, @AbigailG 

You are welcome!

By write "store", if you mean the place where you bought the machine from, I want to give you a notice in advance that usually PC stores do not have technicians at that high advanced level who can deal with such scenarios. Data recovery companies are ones who specialize in such things.

Please, keep me posted.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
AbigailG
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Oh ok, I'll look into that. Thank you once again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation