Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC

Hello,

i decided to upgrade my old notebook (HDD Windows 7 to SSD (Windows 10 or Linux)), but now am unable to install any OS. Windows 7 installation ends with an error, Windows 10 installation is fine, but after reboot i have got a bluescreen (message was like: system files not found). Linux same thing, installation was complete, but ends  in a black screen. Linux Ubuntu recovery mode  shows me: Kernel panic no syncing (can't find or load init), Grub works properly.

Windows recovery tools did not help

I think somethink is wrong with my BIOS configuration which prevents me from booting OS files. There are lot of "security" settings, maybe something is wrong there. 

BIOS firmware is up-to-date

I'm grateful for every tip!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook's BIOS has a secure boot setting, disable it.

Windows 7 is not compatible with secure boot.

When you go to install Windows, see if this works...

I have attached the 64 bit sata controller drivers your notebook uses below.

Unzip and save the driver folder to a USB flash drive.

When you get to the screen that asks 'where do you want to install Windows,' select the 'Load Driver' option and browse to the driver folder on your USB flash drive.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Hopefully the installation will succeed.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply,

Secure boot is disabled. I want  to use/install Win10, Win7 is too old i guess. 

I am not sure whether i really need the driver package for Win10?

For the installation used the Windows USB creator tool (USB was successfully created), Installation was also fine.

after reboot, the HDD indicator LED lights up and of course again the black screen. After 10 min of waiting i turn off the computer.  

During the installation process i used the USB boot path to select the ...winboot.efi file, to be sure that windows is going to be installed in EFI mode. Bcdedit also says that EFI is used. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know why W10 is not working.

You shouldn't need the driver file for W10.

The one I attached is for W7.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to try installing W10 in legacy mode instead of EFI mode.

HP Recommended

Hello,

In lagacy mode i can now see the blue screen (Win10, 64bit),

I can also see the error code: 0xc0000221 (winload.exe is missing or corrupted)

Sometimes i shows me in the blue screen a different file which is corrupted

I think i am done with this hardware! 😤

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.