Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G3

In the BIOS settings, I disabled Secure Boot on my HP Zbook 15 G3 and after restarting I can't get past the HP logo screen.  The function keys will change the message at the bottom of the screen but will never progress past it.  Boot was fine before I changed the setting.

When I tried to reset the BIOS using Windows+B, the computer fans spin up but nothing changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After trying a number of options with support I landed on the problem and was able to fix it.

I have a M.2 SSD with Windows 10 installed.  Legacy boot would not continue while this was connected to the computer.  After I removed the drive I was able to get further to the BIOS options and switch back to Secure Boot.

Unfortunately there were no messages at all during startup that indicated the real problem and it was solved as a last guess before preparing to ship the computer to support!  The user messages around this should be improved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jpny 

Please read my reply on the following disussion

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/how-do-I-disable-HP-Sure-Start/m-p/7889387#M161690

Probably like me, you have to rebuild your machine. I did spend 2 days to search for a way to fix and at the end.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I disabled Secure Boot.  I was not asked for a pin.

Then upon reboot, I see the HP logo.  After hitting the escape key, I see the "Entering Startup Menu..." message at the bottom.  The problem is that the screen never changes after that and I never get to the startup menu.

HP Recommended

After trying a number of options with support I landed on the problem and was able to fix it.

I have a M.2 SSD with Windows 10 installed.  Legacy boot would not continue while this was connected to the computer.  After I removed the drive I was able to get further to the BIOS options and switch back to Secure Boot.

Unfortunately there were no messages at all during startup that indicated the real problem and it was solved as a last guess before preparing to ship the computer to support!  The user messages around this should be improved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.