Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 240 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP Community , I wish ya all having a good day

I have problem in getting into BIOS , I don't know the password , and I need to reset it , I can't locate any Jumpers or even the CMOS Battery on my motherboard , wish you help guys.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@IDKWHATLIFEDO 

For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Wawood , thank you for your reply 

Does my PC have Jumpers or CMOS Battery , and can i know why hp doesn't reset passwords anymore ? , because like replacing the motherboard is like buying a new computer and even if i will do that doesn't make sense .

HP Recommended

@IDKWHATLIFEDO 

Laptop system boards don't have jumpers and removing the CMOS battery, even when it is present, does nothing to reset any BIOS password.

It's not possible to reset a BIOS password with any tools; instead, the chip needs to be replaced and that can only be done if the chip is socketed -- but in the case of HP system board, it is soldered to the board, so it is not replaceable.  The entire board needs to be replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Oh I just knew that xD , thanks for the info , and i have two questions , does my warranty help me to replace the board or 

not ? , because I have a warranty on the laptop that is still going on .

and my second question is about the utilities that are provided by HP itself  , for BIOS reset and recovery , what about them?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.