Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi

I tried updating the latest Windows 10 updates onto my HP Spectre X360. Having downloaded the updates from Microsoft the laptop rebooted and went into a BIOS update. This looked like it was working , it downloaded updates, and then displayed a message saying something along the lines of "Rebooting, do not disconnect poer supply, screen may go blank and LEDs may flash". Sure enough this happened however it has been sitting in this state for several hours now (blank screen and Caps Lock LED flashing intermittently).

Needless to say, I am now concerned that the BIOS update has failed/frozen leaving the machine in an unusable state. Any help / advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Drew2659 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Follow the HP standard procedure:

(1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E

(2) Please report back

In this video, you will see how to restore the BIOS on your HP computer. Many HP computers allow you to recover the last known working version of the BIOS from the hard drive in case of an issue. Follow the simple steps in this video to restore your BIOS with ease. Chapters: 00:00 Introduction ...
HP Recommended

Hi Ub6324,

HNY and thanks for replying to my request for help.

I have created a BIOS recovery USB as described on the HP support site and on the video you kindly attached.

Unfortunately I can't get the machine to read the USB, I've tried holding down the Windows Key and B whilst pressing the power on button for 3 seconds but still get the blank screen and flashing Caps Lock LED. Also tried the Windows Key and V, but stilll get the same thing.

Regards

drew2659

HP Recommended

Hello @Drew2659 

Do you have valid HP warranty ?

Check HP warranty status:

HP support

You need to provide the serial number of your notebook here:

Check your warranty or service status

To find serial number follow:

Find product and serial numbers for HP PCs, printers, and accessories

Do not post serial number here in the community !

If status (date) is wrong:

--->>> HP PCs, printers - Dispute a warranty status

HP Recommended

Thanks again @Ub6424,

Unfortunately the warranty has expired.

The really annoying bit about this is that the machine has been working beautifully for ages and only went into this firmware update as a result of Microsoft/HP generated BIOS update requirement.

I'm not sure what else can be done other than buying another laptop. I doubt if I'll be investing £1500 in another HP as a result of this experience.

With kind regards

Drew2659

HP Recommended

Hello @Drew2659 

You should go to a notebook store and look at different brands and models and "test" them with your own hands and then make a decision. It should not be the cheapest or most expensive notebook !

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.