Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce0xxx

Hello,
Administrator password in BIOS is set up, but BIOS does not ask for it when pressing F9 during start. How to force BIOS to ask admin password when entering boot menu? This behaviour was standard on older HP machines. Otherwise anyone can boot my computer from any media (USB/connected drive).
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@julo Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I'm afraid the option to turn on the power on/Bios password isn't available on all HP products, it's locked in most consumer products to avoid major changes that could lead to an unstable environment of your device, that said, if the options are available on your device, here's where you can find it:

Tap on F10 during a restart to access the BIOS and look under security as shown in the below image:

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,
I did not ask for power-on password, but for password after pressing F9 - boot menu where I can choose boot device.

BIOS does not ask for admin password after F9 even when admin password is set. Here I see potential security risk.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@julo I appreciate the clarification and I'm afraid there's no such password available for when you tap on F9 or access the boot menu, besides the only thing you can do on F9 menu is change the boot options, there's nothing anyone can steal or take from that menu, securing it doesn't help, that said, if you feel you need that menu to be locked, you could check with the HP Smart Friend for advanced Customized options or ask a local tech, because HP doesn't have any such option available.

If you wish to contact HP Smart Friend, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.