Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
17-p100na

I have used SSD Samsung, 1TB. Added it to the CD/DVD Drive. Cloned using AOMEI. 

In BIOS there is no way to change Drive from HD to SSD. 

I have changed order OS with Internal CD/DVD being at the top - nothing changes. 

Manufacturer
HP
Model
HP Notebook
System ID

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If I am understanding this correctly...

You used a DVD caddy and installed a Samsung SSD in it.

The BIOS does not see the SSD.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to switch the SSD with the 2.5" drive and put the 2.5" drive in your DVD caddy.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

NB_MSG_Caramel_1.1_Win10_811417-003 (hp.com)

The problem with what you did is that Windows will always want to boot from the internal hard drive if there is an operating system on it, so changing the boot order won't matter.

HP Recommended

I see thanks for your reply. Switching SSD and HD is a real pain with this laptop. 

Is there no way to make OS load from SSD with it being in the CDROM at all?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, getting to the location of the drive is not easy.

However, I believe that is your only choice.

Also, drives usually run slower in caddies because the SATA port the DVD drive is connected to is normally not a SATA 3 port, but SATA 2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.