Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

So I tried to open a ticket with HP to get into the BIOS of this laptop, and Janet very rudely disconnected the chat before I was done and refused to provide any help whatsoever saying "to protect our customers' information, we no longer support BIOS password resets".

This laptop is freaking 8 years old. NO COMPANY is still using it. It's age alone should be a DEAD GIVEAWAY that there is no "information to protect". Not to mention there is no information to protect in the freaking BIOS anyway!!! 

I can log into the laptop as administrator. It was sold with a blank admin password. However, I cannot get into the BIOS.

It also will not boot to USB. The only options in the boot menu I have are:

Boot to hard disk
OS boot manager (same as above)

UEFI network boot

Boot from EFI file

Can someone please help me get the BIOS reset on this dang thing??

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@putergod 

Basically -- NO!  You were told the HP policy and that applies to everyone on this forum.  Additionally, the BIOS password is encoded into the firmware of the BIOS chip on the motherboard and since that chip can not be replaced, you have to replace the entire motherboard.  It's generally a bad idea to buy a second-hand laptop for this very reason.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hey @putergod 🙂

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.