Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion CS-3023CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This error is about a missing device at boot up.

For some reason the boot order of the drives has been changed unexpectly (in the BIOS) after using the HP optane memory utility to optimize the memory as recommanded.

At the next reboot sequence, this BSOD appeared.

I can boot the computer only if I press ESC on the BSOD and press F9 and select the right drive for the booting sequence.
The BIOS won't allow one to change (update) the devices boot sequence order. So I'm stuck in a rut.
(Engineers at HP might want to fix this glitch real quick)

What didn't work so far:

• - Upgrading the bios to its latest version (F.11)
  • - Using Windows 10 CD to repair the boot process
  • - Running sfc /scannow
  • - Changing the boot drive sequence in the BIOS (can't be saved)
  • - chkdsk c: /r /f
  • - restoring the disk image using Macrium didn't fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally fixed the issue.

Since F11 (from the boot up menu) wasn't even allow me to restore the system to factory settings, I had to build an emergency USB key from the HP website, using the HP Cloud recovery utility:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05115630

Then I booted up from this USB key (bypassing the boot loader) and was able to rebuild the faulty system from scratch.

Once done, the unit was once again booting normally, Then I restored an image backup with Macrium reflect utility and voilà! Back on track! Everything is now working and the BSOD is gone.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I finally fixed the issue.

Since F11 (from the boot up menu) wasn't even allow me to restore the system to factory settings, I had to build an emergency USB key from the HP website, using the HP Cloud recovery utility:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05115630

Then I booted up from this USB key (bypassing the boot loader) and was able to rebuild the faulty system from scratch.

Once done, the unit was once again booting normally, Then I restored an image backup with Macrium reflect utility and voilà! Back on track! Everything is now working and the BSOD is gone.

HTH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.