Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP PAVILLION DV7-4285DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Tried to fire up the old girl this morning and she freezes up just as the Win7 four-color-logo is barely beginning to appear onscreen. She just sat there, waiting and not moving a muscle. After about 2-3 minutes of staring at her without so much as a blink, I pushed her power button and she immediately shut off. These things happen and she is an old girl, so I didn't think much of it, but made a mental note to never shut her down by holding the power button, always wait for Windows to take it time doing god knows what to prepare her for shut down. I can be impatient and why I know not to do this and remind myself almost daily, and how I learned to try the 'instant off' test with the power button. She did, so we know Windows wasn't and hadn't loaded any files during my waiting for boot with the screen unchanging, pre-boot or when just-starting-to-load-windows something is amiss and causes her to totally freeze. Attempting to f8 worked and I was at the safe-mode menu and first tried safe-mode with networking. Same results, freeze at win logo. Tried safe-mode without networking. Same results, freeze at win logo. Tried Last Known Good Config. Same results, freeze at win logo, but then as i was just about to hit the power button, she threw a BSOD: Kmode exception not handled, what failed: ACPI.sys. At this point I did some googling, avoided some obvious ransom/malware attempts, declined Microsoft's Tech advice as it was childishly hilarious and an obvious attempt to check my activation status and I just didn't have time to mess with their heads today, which is a shame because they are typically very fast on the uptake and pretty feisty with their comebacks! The entire time I was reading the enormous amount of similar problems on just about every support/tech site worth reading, she was now doing a try-to-boot-freeze-bsod-try-to-reboot loop. I shut her off and tried three attempts to lt her self-repair the startup, but to no avail. Nothing changed, exact same problem/results. I've been tortured by Windows-on-a-PC for decades and have been a computer nerd since 1988 when I built my first i286/12 based PC and can usually duke it out and win with any version of windows and have even gotten some good sparing in with a few sad macs and had my backside handed to me by a linux box or two, also. I went toe-to-toe with a Zilog Z80 early on.... very ugly and messy, lol. So, removing her hard drive and connecting it to a machine that is here for just these times, I quickly tested-wiped-zeroe'd-partitioned-formatted and re-imaged her hard drive back to absolute perfection and optimal health, too, before returning it to her and giving her BIOS settings the once over.  She was 21 again and ready to party all night........... except that now sh threw her BSOD in about half the freeze time and the cause had changed to: 'Attempt to write to read only memory' and then loops through and right back to this new BSOD message and I'm sure if given half the chance , into infinity and beyond.....

This is a new one on me, so here I am all brand new and shiny, looking for a helping hand and some new techniques. Honestly, I have to say, i was sure it was Bill's, Pinkey's and The Brain's Latest and final push to take over the world and 'take out' the last two PCs therein running Windows 7!!! I checked the old girl's younger sister and was relieved to know that although Darth Vader has been documented visiting the Gates's residence on occasion, one Noble & Un-Telemetrized Windows 7 Machine remains connected to The Force, The Resistance can stand down and we can all breath easy. LOL!  As for the old girl, she's one of the early 17" Artsy-Etched Aluminum-Body, fully loaded HP DV-Cadilacs and needs your help! Thanks everyone and if you need more info/specs just ask, I'll send them straight away.  Will.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hostage-0-Niner Welcome to HP Community!

As I Understand you want a fix for the error - kmode exception not handled in Windows,

Peace be unto you, I have a few steps that should help resolve this concern:

Causes of this Error:

• Cause 1: Faulty RAM module
  •  Cause 2: Corrupt or outdated device drivers

Fixing “ Stop Code: kmode exception not handled” on Windows:

•   Fix #1: Test your RAM
  •   Fix #2: Update or disable drivers
  •   Fix #3: Disable antivirus
  •   Fix #4: Check for new software

Description and Symptoms

The error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms below are tied to this error.

The error indicates that the system error handler couldn’t catch an exception generated by a kernel mode program. It’s mostly displayed as a Blue Screen Error (BSOD) or a STOP code. When this happens, the computer shuts down abruptly.

The error can be caused by one of the following situations:

• Hardware problems
  • Incompatibility with device drivers
  • Corrupt system services
  • Recently installed software applications that might be incompatible with your Windows versions

Cause 1: Faulty RAM module

The most common cause of this error is a faulty RAM module that periodically gives read/write errors. If that’s the case, then it is advisable to scan the system memory and replace the faulty RAM module.

Cause 2: Corrupt or outdated device drivers

Sometimes the device drivers may become misconfigured, corrupt or outdated. That may also happen after a Windows update or a Windows downgrade from a newer system to an older one.

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Hostage-0-Niner Welcome to HP Community!

As I Understand you want a fix for the error - kmode exception not handled in Windows,

Peace be unto you, I have a few steps that should help resolve this concern:

Causes of this Error:

• Cause 1: Faulty RAM module
  •  Cause 2: Corrupt or outdated device drivers

Fixing “ Stop Code: kmode exception not handled” on Windows:

•   Fix #1: Test your RAM
  •   Fix #2: Update or disable drivers
  •   Fix #3: Disable antivirus
  •   Fix #4: Check for new software

Description and Symptoms

The error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms below are tied to this error.

The error indicates that the system error handler couldn’t catch an exception generated by a kernel mode program. It’s mostly displayed as a Blue Screen Error (BSOD) or a STOP code. When this happens, the computer shuts down abruptly.

The error can be caused by one of the following situations:

• Hardware problems
  • Incompatibility with device drivers
  • Corrupt system services
  • Recently installed software applications that might be incompatible with your Windows versions

Cause 1: Faulty RAM module

The most common cause of this error is a faulty RAM module that periodically gives read/write errors. If that’s the case, then it is advisable to scan the system memory and replace the faulty RAM module.

Cause 2: Corrupt or outdated device drivers

Sometimes the device drivers may become misconfigured, corrupt or outdated. That may also happen after a Windows update or a Windows downgrade from a newer system to an older one.

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.