Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 Ce015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About a year ago I bought this wonderful HP Omen 15 off of ebay second hand. When I got it, I noticed after a few days it would just Hibernates down mid game. I searched as much as I could and determined it was either the battery or thermal paste. Okay, no problem, just went and bought a new battery and put new thermal paste in the system. However, while it wasn't fairly as often, the issue still persisted. I started to notice that sometimes the Battery would show it was full and all, and sometimes It would say it was plugged in not charging. I also notice fairly recently a whole lot of Thermal Throttling while playing games that should not have that issue (in my case Two Point Hospital). I have taken the battery out and tested it and it hibernated itself just like it always does. If anyone has any ideas, please keep me up to date. Here is a list of things I have tried so far.

1. New Battery
2. New Thermal Paste

3. Air cleaning the fans (which I do frequently)

4. Testing without Battery

5. Tried to test the Battery and AC adapter (aka despite having the newest Bios and stuff for my laptop the option to Test the AC adapter and battery do not show up so I was unable to do this)

6. Purchase a cool pad to see if that affected the amount of hibernates (as I figured it was Thermal related, however it did not)

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SaraOnieo

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and check if that helps

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter ( For Notebooks with Removable Batteries )
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter and restart

Next update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

If the issue persists run a Battery Test again to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power > Battery

Let me know how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I appreciate the interest in helping. I have done both of these a couple of times as well. All of my drivers are up to date and I even made sure my BIOS is the correct version for my laptop using the HP website. The one thing in your suggestion I cannot do is run a battery test, as I do not have that as an option in the system tests. I am unsure as to why though. I have however taken the battery out and ran the laptop on power only to see if it would hibernate itself without the battery. I ran a game and left it and when I got back it had in fact hibernate itself. In the process of telling my tech savy dad after I cut it back on, it hibernate again. The power supply was thought to be the issue after that, but we currently have no way of testing it and there are problems occurring that the power cord being the issue would not explain. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935 and let me know how it goes

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there again. I read through the link you sent me and find myself confused. I understand how Hibernation and Sleep work, and the difference between them, however nothing on that page even remotely involves the issues I have been having. My computer can Hibernate and go to sleep properly. It doesn't have issues waking up from it either. It just Hibernates seemingly randomly instead. I did look into some of the suggestions on the page, and have already tried some of them. It has not solved the issue. I believe, from looking into the advanced options of the hibernate and sleep options, that what is going on is a critical action. The issue becomes that I have no clue why or where. Since I cannot test the Battery or AC adapter, it makes this more difficult. The battery is fairly new, as I bought a new one after getting the laptop. It shows no signs of swelling or damage. The AC adapter is the one that came with the Laptop. Its an Official HP Slim 150w. I have ran the test without the battery and the power cord has no issues keeping the laptop up. It did hibernate itself while I was gone though. None of the issues make sense to me anymore and I have troubleshooted it for a whole year trying to fix it. 

HP Recommended

Since the issue occurs both with and without the Battery, I suggest you perform a Reset and let me know how it goes

After the Reset run, the HP Support Assistant to check for all latest Drivers and Firmware. Also run all the Windows Updates after the Reset

Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will do this as soon as I can. I have very important documents and information that I need to keep at the moment and need to find a way to back them up first. I appreciate all of your help and will keep you updated when I am able to Reset the computer.

HP Recommended

Thank you

Keep us posted if you need further assistance ☺️

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.