Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360 (2020)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Envy X360 13 inch (2020 model) which is only 3 months old. I am having an issue with the battery just completely dying randomly, no low battery warning or anything. The first time it happened the battery was at 50% ish and laptop shut off, the second time the battery was at 35% and just died, now it has happened again with the battery getting to 47% then dying. 

After it dies, the laptop will only turn back on once I plug in the charger, when the laptop turns back on the battery shows 0%-1% indicating it was the battery dying causing the laptop to shut off.

As far as I'm aware, this did not happen before I updated to the latest BIOS, leading me to think it is an issue with the latest BIOS version.

I have used the HP Assistant to perform a battery check and the result came back as 'OK'.

Any help would be appreciated as it has become frustrating essentially only being able to use around half of the battery capacity.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

After the battery has been used for a few years, this problem usually occurs. It is recommended that you do a calibration.
Method one: use special correction tools
   1. Double-click the power management icon in the taskbar and select the "longest battery life" mode.
2. After clicking the "Settings" button, switch to the "Battery Care" setting page, click the "Start" button at this time, and then a prompt window will pop up. At this time, please close all application processes and ensure that the AC is connected The power adapter, after clicking the "Continue" button, it will prompt that the battery accuracy correction is being processed.
  3. Be patient and wait, the battery status will display "power on, not charging". When the "Battery Accuracy Correction Completed" pops up, click the "Confirm" button, and the battery status will display "Power is on and charging", which indicates that the battery correction is successful. After fully charged, you will find that the battery life has been restored.

Method 2: Fix the battery in the notebook
   In order to facilitate users to correct the battery, some notebooks will integrate a battery correction tool in the BIOS.
   1. Charge the battery first to ensure that it can be powered on normally, press F2 to enter the BIOS setup interface when booting. Switch to the "Power" menu and set the "LCD PowerSaving" option to the off state, that is, turn off the display energy saving mode.
  2. Position the cursor on the "Start Battery Calibration" option, and press Enter to enter the battery power calibration prompt interface. At this time, make sure that the AC adapter is plugged in.
   3. Wait for a while to charge the battery. When the message "Please remove AC adapter" appears on the screen, it means that the battery is fully charged. Then unplug the AC adapter, let the laptop continue to turn on until the battery is exhausted, the battery will automatically shut down after the battery is discharged, and then connect the AC adapter to charge.

HP Recommended

The laptop and battery are brand new. I bought the laptop brand new directly from HP only 3 months ago. I will try the calibration steps you suggested anyway and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Tried battery calibration, did not work. Battery got to approx 30-35% and suddenly died.

The battery charges fine up to 100% and also lasts as long as it should, up until the point it just dies.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.