Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Laptop - 15-ef0875ms. Last night it did a Windows update, and now when I turn it on it says I have a corrupted BIOS. It goes to the recovery screen, but then it says failed. Then it restarts and loops. I've looked on the website and it says that I have to download the BIOS onto a USB from a separate computer and I'm trying to do that based on the HP website, except the tutorial says to click on an option that I don't have when I have downloaded the BIOS.

I have downloaded the driver, opened the program, but it will not give me the option to save to a USB. It just asks where it should make a folder for the files on my computer. Is there something I need to do with the USB before the wizard will give me the option to save to it? Does it need to be a specific type of USB?

I don't know what operating system I have on the computer and I can't check. I think it's Windows 10 but I don't know what else beyond that. Any help is greatly appreciated; this computer is barely two years old. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Xigglet,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Laptop not booting to windows just goes to a recovery screen. 

The BIOS can be corrupted during normal operation from a failed BIOS upgrade, or damage from a virus.   

Recover the BIOS using a key press combination.

Turn off the computer. Press and hold the Windows + b keys, and continue to press those keys while you press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds. Release the power button, but continue pressing the Windows + b keys.

The power light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything is displayed. You might hear a series of beeps (usually 8 beeps). Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen is displayed and the BIOS update begins automatically.   

NOTE: If the HP BIOS Update screen is not displayed, press and release the power button, and then immediately press the Windows + b keys at the same time, repeatedly, until the computer beeps or opens the HP BIOS Update screen.

After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button is displayed and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately, or wait for the computer to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

If issue still persist then test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to rule out other hard drive issues

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Press F2 repeatedly during start up to enter the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility.
  3. Select Component Tests > Hard Drive > Quick Test.
  4. Click Run Once.

Once the test completes, results are displayed on the screen.

If the drive passes all tests, continue to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Click here for the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) link.

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.