Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17-bw0003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,  I was wondering if I could install WD blue sn570 into M2 slot.  On page 29 in the menu there is a list as follows.  
512-GB, M.2 2280, PCIe3×4, NVMe solid-state drive with TLC 512-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive
256-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive
128-GB, M.2 2280-SATA3 solid-state drive with TLC
16-GB, 2280, PCIe3×2, NVMe, 3D XP solid-state drive
L20709-001 L20710-001 L20708-001 L20707-001 L20706-001
My laptop did not come with none of them installed. When I installed WD Blue sn570 M2 1Tb nothing is detected in the bios under UFEI.  The bios firmware is updated to F.29 Rev.A.  I also tried other 2 makers M2 Mvme ssd 256gb but none were detected?  Including WD blue Sn570 M2 Mvme?  Am I missing something? or do I boot without the main 7200rpm hard drive in order for the bios to see anything in M2 slot?  Thanks guys for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Many HP notebooks that come with M.2 slots do not recognize the NVMe SSD as a bootable device in the BIOS.

The problem is when you plan on retaining the 2.5" drive and use the NVMe SSD for storage, since there is an operating system on the 2.5" drive, no matter what you do, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the SSD.

That is why when you buy a notebook that comes with a dual drive configuration like that, there is no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

If you already installed Windows on the SSD, temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook that way for a while, restart, shut down, etc., and if everything works as it should with the WD Blue SN570 installed, you can try connecting the 2.5" drive back up.

If the notebook switches back to the 2.5" drive you will need to clean the disk using the Diskpart command, format it and use it for storage only.  

When using Diskpart make sure you clean the right disk.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

Many HP notebooks that come with M.2 slots do not recognize the NVMe SSD as a bootable device in the BIOS.

The problem is when you plan on retaining the 2.5" drive and use the NVMe SSD for storage, since there is an operating system on the 2.5" drive, no matter what you do, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the SSD.

That is why when you buy a notebook that comes with a dual drive configuration like that, there is no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

If you already installed Windows on the SSD, temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook that way for a while, restart, shut down, etc., and if everything works as it should with the WD Blue SN570 installed, you can try connecting the 2.5" drive back up.

If the notebook switches back to the 2.5" drive you will need to clean the disk using the Diskpart command, format it and use it for storage only.  

When using Diskpart make sure you clean the right disk.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks,  one more question the M2 ssd is clean nothing on it. M2 just taken from the box.   Do I mirror OS from 2.5 Hdd 7200rpm to M2 ssd and then start the notebook with plugged in M2 ssd and 2.5 HDD disconnected?  Did I understand that correctly?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, clone the existing 2.5" drive's contents to the M.2 SSD (both drives connected).

After the clone has reported successful, you can temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the notebook should boot from the SSD.

You can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will install W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...you will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Wow, a lot of information thanks.  When you say both drives connected, connected outside notebook?  I presume I got to put M2 ssd in the enclosure outside the notebook in order to clone from the 2.5 Hdd also in the enclosure both of them connected to usb in order to clone.  I think I got it,  thanks 

HP Recommended

Hi, what I meant is m2 ssd in enclosure connected with usb cable to usb port on laptop, then 2.5 Hdd in enclosure also connected with usb cable to usb port on laptop and run the cloning software.  When done, take the M2 ssd and install into M2 port in the laptop .  Turn on power and let’s boot.  Hopefully after this computer should boot from M2 ssd every time?  Thanks 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What I meant was to leave the 2.5" drive connected inside the notebook as it is now, install the M.2 SSD in the empty M.2 slot inside the notebook and you can clone it that way.

Then disconnect the 2.5" drive after the cloning is successfully completed.

HP Recommended

Wow, that is simpler for sure,  Can I clone the M2 ssd even though M2 ssd not being seen by the bios?  Will clone software see the M2 ssd in the M2 slot?I always tough in order to clone the M2 ssd it will need to be seen by bios?  Any thoughts on this?  Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi:

Assuming the service manual is correct and NVMe SSD's are supported, the cloning software should detect the NVMe SSD, and you should be able to use the software interface in the cloning software to clone the drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the valuable information.  I learn something new every day.  This site and members are very nice and very helpful.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.