Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook x360 440 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Probook x360 440 g1. Some days ago (between Christmas time and New Year) the laptop suddenly went out and it was no longer possible to switch it on. Since it is still under warranty, the laptop was repaired by hp free of charge.

Yesterday I got the laptop back. When i turn on the laptop now i am asked to enter a bitlocker recovery key. But I have not such a key. And HP told me also that they have not such a key.

What I need to do now to be able to start the laptop and to be able to work with the laptop?

Is there any chance to find this recovery key? Or do I have to reinstall windows 10? If so I think I have to download Windows 10 from the Microsoft homepage and need to install Windows 10 from the USB stick then, correct?

But - if so - where I will find the key I have to enter during reinstallation of Windows 10? Because Windows 10 was already installed I have no key for Windows 10.

Many thanks for your help!

With best regards

Jochen

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I do not use Bitlocker and have no experience with it.  If you have not used Bitlocker  in the past and are presented with this message, then there is no way to get the Bitlocker recovery key, from what I read.

However, it seems you can reinstall Windows and be OK.  Since that PC had Windows 10 installed before, there is a step in the installation process where you can "skip the key entry" and proceed with the install.  You can download the Windows 10 install with a working PC from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions. 

Then use this new media to install Windows 10.  It will be the newest version of Windows, BTW, when you make this new media.

One other thing - typically when a PC comes back from service, the previous data you might have had on the hard drive will be wiped out, so you are not going to lose anything by reinstalling Windows, anyways.

You may need to then go to the HP site for any drivers that Windows missed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.