Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I got a 6 year old HP Pavilion g7 Notebook.

At least 4 or 5 weeks ago the day before thanksgiving I woke up with my laptop having a black screen with a blinking underscore on the top left corner.

I was crying and so frustrated with this problem I was desperate to get my laptop fixed but my parents didn't do jack crap about it I need to get this fixed I need this for school. I am not deleting anything on it because I was working so hard on a mod I made for Amnesia The Dark Descent. PLEASE SEND HELP ASAP OR ELSE I WILL DIE WITHOUT THIS COMPUTER BEING FIX HELP NOW HELP NOW HEEEEELLLLLPPPP NOOOOOOWWW!!!!!!
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@LloydIsGolden

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Pavilion g7 Notebook. I understand that it goes to blank screen with blinking underscore and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

When did this issue start?

Did you do any hardware or software changes?

Meanwhile:

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

11. Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers. See Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎 and Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) for more information.

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I did the hard reset at least 20 times and the startup menu is not appearing

Is there anything else I can do!?
HP Recommended
The issue started in November the day before thanksgiving.
HP Recommended

Hi @LloydIsGolden,

I read the post. Thanks for the response. As @sandytechy20 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

• After the hard reset does your computer boot up?
  • If it did not, then did you try the remaining steps mentioned in the previous post with different links to it?
  • Were you able to run extensive diagnostics on the computer for which the link has been given in the previous post?
  • What are the test results? DId they pass or fail? 
  • Did you get any failure code for any component that may have failed?

For now, try running the extensive tests on the computer and check if it runs them.

• If the diagnostics pass then at least we know that the computer's hardware is fully functional.
  • If it fails, make a note of the failure id for the failed component and contact a local technician like Best Buy or Staples to get the computer repaired.

If the computer is more than 3 years old then service options with HP are no longer available because the original suppliers and manufacturers who manufacture and supply the parts to HP to build and service the computer don't do so anymore.

• If the tests pass, then perform a Microsoft push-button reset from this link: http://hp.care/2g0Tjzs; and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Make sure to check each screen before the reset begins to choose the option of not losing data and keeping your information.
  • However, you will need to reinstall all your apps and programs. Your data is usually not lost if you choose the option to keep your data.
  • If the computer does not even start, then try the last link to troubleshoot when the computer does not start from the previous post.
  • Finally, contact a local technician to get it repaired.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What if the startup menu does not open

HP Recommended

@SNOOZE

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.