Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When the HP logo appears, it goes to a black screen and shows a flashing underscore for 2-3 seconds and it goes away.

I tried bios recovery and everything but nothing worked, please help me. I really want it to be solved.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @NingaCF 

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I dont have the same menu as the video it shows me these

F1 System informations

F2 Start-up Test

F3 Run-In Test

F4 Hard Disk Test

F11 Error Log

HP Recommended

Pavilion DV6 is quite an old model and that is why you see it somewhat differently in the video.

However, the most important option is still F2

• Please, press F2 and run the Start-up test. Let me know the results.
  • You may also run F3 (Run-in test) and let me know the outcome.

- Did this PC run Windows 7 before the issue started ?

- Can you think of any changes recently or anything you may have done that might have caused the issue ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

ok, when both tests pass, it shows primary hard disk test and it freezes. ESC key doesnt even do anything, I had to restartmy computer.

I checked the error log it shows in the results the number 0601.

And I had windows 7 before the problem and I didnt do any changes, I only played a game.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your update.

• Would you be able to take pictures (using a smartphone or a camera) and post them back here - showing the hardware results of the F2/F3 tests and also the log ?
HP Recommended

I'm sorry about the quality of the image but this is what I got:20200119_122549.jpgStartup test and run in test shows this result and never starts the quick test and ESC key doesnt even work.

20200119_122803.jpgThe error log shows result with the number 0601 and the time

HP Recommended

0601 should be battery error or CMOS battery error - this is not related to your PC unable to start or complete HDD/F2 test or PC unable to start.

• So, it never started the hard disk test ? Have you tried additional time ?

Let's do some short experiment:

Can you check your PC model's service guide here >> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

Check/begin on page 63 (70)

Remove your PC's hard disk drive

Try to perform the hardware diagnostics again. This time the memory test should complete but the HDD test should almost immediately end up with something like not detected or not installed

Return back (insert) the HDD, close the service panel and try the hardware diagnostics F2 again

Provide details what happened eventually - did it manage to complete this time - with HDD in ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.