Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook 14-dk0002dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did an automatic bios update, i.e,. checked for updates & did optional updates.

I did not watch it all the way through, but later I looked & the power light was on, but the screen was black.

I have tried all the key stroke combinations I have been able to find plus holding  the Windows / v or Windows / b  while turning on.  There has been no response (not a beep or anything on the screen).

I have download the bios on a USB, but of course it won't do anything with that until it responds (although I have tried).

HP wants me to send it in for a  huge fee.

Is there anything else that can be done?

What would they do that I am not able to do; would they physically replace the bios?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Irn_W!
You seem to have the same problem as I did a few days back. Unfourtunately there was nothing I could do, and ended up taking the PC to a repair shop. This is my post after the repair. TL:DR: If you have the chance to take your PC to an official HP support, and you can afford it, that's the way I would go. Otherwise, you could do as I did and take it to an unofficial repair shop to get the BIOS chip replaced. It should be way cheaper, and if the only thing that failed (as in my case) is the chip, they'll replace it. Sometimes (and this is hearsay which I cannot confirm) official support centers would replace the entire motherboard for simplicity; but at an increased cost. 

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Tom.

Tommen4
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.