Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy m6-n015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, 

I hope you are doing well.

product Number: G6R97UA#ABA 

i am facing a problem with my laptop so  i took it to a technician and he told me that there are two problems:

The cmos battery holder is not soldered right so he fixed it up ( the cmos battery enclosure was broken ) , the other problem is with BIOS IC chip depending on the following symptoms :

The other problem is with the black screen which appears after windows restarts or turning on after shutdown ( when Windows restarts and after exiting windows, my laptop gives a black screen but the fans are working!) also, if i turned the laptop off, it shutdowns normally but when turning it on again, the same issue happens. the weird thing is that when i leave it off for a while ( more than 1 hour ), it starts normally and stays on that till next restart or turning off.

my question is it possible to be broken BIOS IC chip? if not, what else may be?
what is the bios chip number/ model to order it online and can it be changed ?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mfutian Welcome to HP Community!

HP doesn't recommend or support changing the IC chip and hence we don't have details of the chip as such, what we do offer is troubleshooting to identify the issue and if there's a faulty hardware, in this scenario:

Once you click here for steps to identify the issue on why your computer starts but the screen remains blank, we would suggest a motherboard replacement (if need be), you may replace the same via the HP Parts Store: click here to access it.

CLICK HERE FOR THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON NO BOOT ISSUES

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mfutian Welcome to HP Community!

HP doesn't recommend or support changing the IC chip and hence we don't have details of the chip as such, what we do offer is troubleshooting to identify the issue and if there's a faulty hardware, in this scenario:

Once you click here for steps to identify the issue on why your computer starts but the screen remains blank, we would suggest a motherboard replacement (if need be), you may replace the same via the HP Parts Store: click here to access it.

CLICK HERE FOR THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON NO BOOT ISSUES

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Sir,

@Riddle_Decipher

Thank you for your detailed reply. i followed the steps and found a problem with the cr2032 holder so i replaced it. I tried the bios resting with the same problem so after testing, i realized that the  problem is with the GPU soldering. I took it to a repair shop near me as we only have one authorized HP fix shop in my country and it's a bit far away, he did the tests and advised me to try re balling the GPU and that what we will try tomorrow. as i substitute, i can buy a whole new motherboard but i couldn't find it on HP parts surfer website so any suggestions? 

Thank you my friend 

HP Recommended

@mfutian The pleasure is all mine, my friend 😉

I looked up your product number on the HP Parts store and here's what I found, this is the universal part number for the motherboard: 760289-501 (if you simply, google this number, you can find it on local online stores such as eBay, Amazon, etc..)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, thank you 🙂 

i will search for it and hope to solve fix it finally soon.

HP Recommended

final question my friend. the motherboard will come with the integrated GPU only not the CPU? no need for a new CPU?

HP Recommended

@mfutian It comes with a new GPU and you can use the same CPU that you currently have with the new motherboard, as we don't support upgrade of CPU as it may create a conflict with other components on the device, you are however, free to explore the upgrade options at your own discretion.

Take care and have an awesome day ahead, my friend 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you my friend, i really appreciate your help  😊

Best Wishes for you and good day to you too

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.