Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-f014wm Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

Two days ago after using my computer normally, a Windows update was required and I selected to run the update. The update seemed to be running as normal but then when the computer and update restarted my computer, the computer did not reboot and I am left with a black screen. Computer turns on, the LEDs for the power light up, LEDs on the side light up, the wifi (F12) button is illuminated orange, the fan is running but the computer will not boot. 

Things I have tried:

Hard Reset- Turned off laptop, removed battery and power cord and held the power button for at least 30 seconds, the plug power cord back in- nothing happens and have tried this multiple times

Reseat the RAM- I have removed the ram cards from the computer and put them back in multiple times- nothing changes, still black screen with no reboot

Checked Monitor- I have plugged an HDMI into my computer and a second monitor to see if it is the computer screen- nothing happened even with trying to  F4

Tried safe mode - turned on computer and tapped ESC multiple times to run safe mode or reset computer back to earlier date - nothing appears on screen

BIOS- I have read to turn off computer, hold Windows key +B (or V)  then press power button for 2 seconds and continue holding WIndows +B until the BIOS screen appears however the screen never appeared and nothing happened

I am looking for help with any other options or solutions for me to try. I strongly feel that this issue is caused by the Windows update but my computer will not reboot to give me any options. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@GTrulick Welcome to HP Community!

Click here to perform a harder reset on your device

If the issue persists, after the above steps, try the below:

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you've already done the above and nothing works, this could be a hardware malfunction, please keep us posted.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.