Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Tried to turn on the laptop this morning and got a black screen message that the Boot Configuration Data in the PC is corrupt and I should reload the Windows disc. But I don't have that and this laptop doesn't even have a disc drive. I can access the firmware settings thru the ESC key.... but what else can I do? I'd prefer not toose all the data and files on the hard drive. Any ideas? Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

PS.... I think it actually has Windows Pro or Windows 10.... not Windows 7

HP Recommended

Hi:

Make a bootable USB W10 installation drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the installation media and when you get to the Install Now screen, on the lower left corner of that screen should be a Repair your computer link to click on.

Click the operating system that you want to repair and then click Next.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt and type the below commands.

Type bootrec /fixmbr and press Enter.

(This command will write a Windows 10 compatible Master Boot Record to the system partition)

Type bootrec /fixboot and press Enter.

(This command writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that's compatible with Windows 10)

Type bootrec /scanos and press Enter.

Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.

(These two commands scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows 10)

Restart the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much! Really appreciate your help and quick response.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Were you able to repair the installation using those steps?

HP Recommended

Im going to give it a go in a few minutes after I double check on a few things with our office administrator (like making sure I really have W10). I'll let you know how it goes after I do it. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

I believe you can use the same procedure if it is running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 as well.

HP Recommended

I'm afraid this didn't work, Paul.  Everything happened as you suggested it would, but restarting afterward brought back the same blackscreen message.  I'm I supposed to so something after the fourth command besides turn off the computer? Do you think I should just hit the initial Install Now button instead of the Repair Your Computer link? Or will that cause me to lose everything in there? REALLY appreciate your help an patience.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry those steps didn't work.

They don't always.

If you select the Install now button, and you need to recover files, then let Windows install over the existing Windows partition.

Do not delete or format anything, and Windows will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste the files/folders you need to your new user profile or you can save your files to a portable hard drive.

You will need to reinstall any programs that didn't come with your notebook.

Once your files are stored onto a portable hard drive, you could make a bootable recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

This package provides the Cloud Recovery Client for supported models running a supported operating system. This Client Utility enables users to download the Recovery Kit from the cloud.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85001-85500/sp85318.exe

I have attached an pdf info file below for how to use the cloud recovery tool.

Or you can install the drivers and available software yourself on the new W10 installation installed by the media creation tool from the link below.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-440-g3-notebook-pc/7834551

Once you are sure you have all of the files recovered, you can delete the Windows.old folder by running the disk cleanup utility, click on the cleanup system files button on the lower left side of the disk cleanup window, and check all of the boxes to delete the unnecessary files.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.