Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 360

All of the sudden my spectre notebook is all glitchy and I am constantly getting a black screen error message that "Boot Device Not Found" and that I need to install an operating system on my hard drive.  When I follow all the prompts and run the list of recommended diagnostics, no hard drive errors are found and obviously I'm running Windows 10.  I've discovered that if I reboot I can sometimes get it up and running again, but invariably the error message returns and I have to start all over again. Suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Griff9

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Perform a hard reset  (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings
  • Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics
  • Step 4: Reseat the hard drive
  • Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463 to complete the troubleshooting steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions. I did steps 1-3. I'm not going to reseat the hard drive as I'm not very technically proficient, worried about the static issue damaging other components and I doubt that is the issue since the laptop rarely leaves the top of my desk. I'm thinking about just going right to the HP system recovery and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Btw, steps 1-3 didn't work. Still experiencing the error message about the boot device not found.

HP Recommended

@Griff9

Thank you for posting back. 

You can skip that troubleshooting steps resetting the hard drive and ram.

• Have you tried performing system recovery?

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I performed a HP system recovery. Reinstalled Windows 10, etc. and just got the same error message when I tried to start the laptop. Can anyone recommend an authorized HP repair center in the Washington, DC area as none of the solutions I've tried have fixed the issue?

HP Recommended

@Griff9

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can contact the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.