Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
L3C36UA#ABA

It all started with a boot loop when I tried to upgrade my pc to win 10 from win 8.1 pro but it was lagging at first so I tried to update the drive using device manager but then my pc froze. So after I restarted it gave the boot loop then In the recovery environment I used cmd to clean the drive when I didn't even realized I made it worse because it got rid of the operating system on the hard disk and the boot option menu is empty. What do I do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Teodayne 

Unfortunately, forcing the upgrade from Win8x to Win10 corrupted any HP recovery files on the drive so now, there is no way for you to go back to Win8x.  Had you asked BEFORE you forced that upgrade, we could have warned you about it.

Also, you can try the cloud recovery option mentioned below, but with a PC this old, it is probably NOT going to be available:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.