Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n031se
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
My notebook is showing the boot option menu every time I turn on my computer. I tried loading setup defaults on the BIOS and updating it. But no change.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bpritam27

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It's very rare that an issue would persist, though the OS has been reinstalled,

I recommend you Contact HP to have your device either repaired/replaced as this could be an internal error and the OS may need to be copied into the drive using other sources.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bpritam27

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the boot option menu is showing up every time you turn on your device,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you make any changes withing the system configuration utility?

Have you installed any updates that could have caused the issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. When you boot into Windows 7 click Start< Run and type msconfig and hit enter. 
2. The System Configuration window will open, Select Normal Startup under General,
3. Now click the Boot Tab. 
4. On the right side under Timeout you will see a number in seconds. 
5. Make sure the timeout is 0 seconds. If it is NOT 0 seconds, change the value to 0. 
6. When done click Apply and Ok to close the window. 
7. Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I enabled the legacy support and changed the UEFI boot order to install windows 10. After facing this problem, I restored it default and performed a system recovery and came back to Windows 8. But the problem is not solved. Then I tried installing BIOS F.71 update. But the problem remained same.

Now, I followed what you have said. But the changes is not saving on the System Configuration window.
HP Recommended

@bpritam27

I appreciate the details about reverting back to windows 8 from 10 among others,

That said, if you've used the HP Recovery partition (F11)  to recover windows and you've been facing this issue since, I recommend using the HP Recovery media (USB/DVD) - Click here for details on obtaining the same, if you don't have one.

Also, if you've done the recovery using the media and yet the issue persists, I recommend you run an extensive system test to ensure there aren't any hardware issues on your device: 

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

NOTE:

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I used HP Recovery Disk to perform system recovery. Now I have run the extensive system test twice. But no fault of the system has been detected.
HP Recommended

@bpritam27

It's very rare that an issue would persist, though the OS has been reinstalled,

I recommend you Contact HP to have your device either repaired/replaced as this could be an internal error and the OS may need to be copied into the drive using other sources.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.