Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17'
Linux

I am trying to get to the boot options for my laptop HP envy 17. My monitor is not working, so I use an external monitor through HDMI. It seems that it is accessing it (I hear a beep when I type F10) but there's nothing on the screen. How can I access it through this monitor?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JonC86 

This is why you can not use an external monitor to fully replace the built-in screen. 

The drivers needed for the external monitor are not loaded until Windows is into its boot process, and that is long after the initial power-up is done.  So, you're not going to be able to see those messages.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that I am running on Linux. So if the built-in screen is not working, what could be a solution?

HP Recommended

@JonC86 

I wish you HAD mentioned that because (1) display problems in Linux are nearly always due to lack of video drivers -- which for laptops can be really hard to find, and (2) we don't provide detailed support for Linux.

Your best bet would be to post on the forum of the Linux distro you are using to get their assistance.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.