Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Before passing on my notebook I reset it with the Windows 10 tool (reset). For a long time I have to use an external USB keyboard instead of the damaged implemented one. Now the computer does not start anymore. It stops before booting displaying a black screen and the message"hit ESCAPE to enter the boot menu". Whatever I type on the keyboard nothing happens.

Restart with a recovery dvd doesn't work. Apparently the computer does not even enter the boot process.The BIOS reset as described by the manufacturer (power on with Win+B pressed) also does not work. Did anybody else encounter this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

So what exactly is the problem?

Wont respond once power is applied?

Keyboard fault?

This will not work for everyone, but you may be lucky?
HP Notebooks and Mobile Workstations -
No Power, No Boot, No Display When Power Button Is Pressed

NOTE: Be sure the battery is installed in the computer and it has sufficient power before continuing. Due to the design of the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller, the power supply must be disconnected and the computer must be powered with battery power to reset the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller.

Unplug the AC power from the computer.
Press and hold the power button for more than 12 seconds.
Release the power button (after at least 12 seconds).
The computer will power on and should boot normally after releasing the power button.
Re-connect the AC power to the computer.

NOTE: In case the battery is not charging after performing the steps to reset the Embedded Controller, unplug and re-plug in the AC power again.

ELSE

Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.
Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.

Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).
AND/OR
HOW DO I USE DIAGNOSTICS?

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows is a Windows-based utility that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine if the computer hardware is functioning properly. The tool runs within the Windows operating system in order to diagnose hardware failures. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows comes pre-installed on new HP computers, but if not on yours, download here:- http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp93001-93500/sp93457.exe

NEXT

Restart is ESCAPE and F9 to boot from a DVD, probably.

Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.
Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds.
Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically. Follow any on-screen prompts to continue the startup to complete the recovery.
HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next step to install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website.
If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

HP Recommended

Thanks. But the problem is still remaining.

For a long time the notebook is connected to an external usb keyboard. Everything was working fine until I used the "Reset This PC" (Windows 10) feature to securely erase everything on the computer. After many hours erasing the HD the computer was shut down. When I power on the notebook, after a few seconds  the "hp" logo is shown and in the lower left corner this text is displayed

N78 Ver. 1.06 12/18/2015
Press the ESC key for startup Menu

This screen appears inevitalby whenever I start the notebook. There is no way to start windows not even to enter the Boot Menu. The key press commands Win-B or Win-V do not alter anything. However, Ctrl-Alt-Del prompts a restart.

HP Recommended

Hi

SO you have a working Keyboard?

YOU hold down the WinKey and B prior to applying power for 2 - 3 seconds, which when the power button is released and WinKey + B are held down the Machine attempts to repair the BIOS, there may be a stored backup on the HDD.

ELSE make a BIOS flash drive and use ESC and F9 to select it.

Assuming that the Secure/GPT settings in the BIOS have not been changed to Legacy.

So ESC key repeatedly at power on.

HP Recommended

Instead of the damaged internal keyboard I am using an external usb keyboard for several months. There were no problems with the keyboard/notebook until I started the "Reset This PC" feature to securely erase everything but Windows on the computer.

When I power on the notebook, after a few seconds  the "hp" logo is shown and in the lower left corner the following text is displayed and frozen

"N78 Ver. 1.06 12/18/2015
Press the ESC key for startup Menu"

This happens whenever I power on the notebook, no matter what key / key combinations are pressed. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del prompts a restart. There is no way to move beyond that screen nor to enter the Boot Menu. This also applies to the key press commands Win-B or Win-V before and after power on.

Any change to bios is unlikely. To my knowledge the "Reset This PC" feature (Win 10) solely wipes the HDD.

HP Recommended

Therefore remove the HDD and try and install an OS externally.

Try a Linux OS with a Usb keyboard.

Pay for a professional repair.

Use it as a paperweight.

Without some positive movement forward ,.......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.