Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion
I am unsure what the problem is with my computer, the UEFI boot order has an exlamation mark next to network adapter and im not sure on how to fix this. I would like to know wether i will need to buy a specific part, if this is a problem i can fix myself or should i take it somewhere to get it fixed.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you can open it you can replace the hard drive. Save yourself some serious money. Go to the store just to buy a hard drive. 2.5 inch SATA hard drive. They sell them at Wal-Mart now. Any brand will work as long as 7mm or 9.5 mm thick which is what you find in stores. Put the new one in the same place as the old one with the same caddy and screws. With a working computer on the internet go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site and it will download Windows 10 and make you an installer usb disk on a flash drive at least 4 gigs (8 is better) and use that to reinstall Windows. Drivers and factory apps are available here at this site. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Can we have the model number so we can find the right BIOS emulator? Are you trying to boot from network such as PXE boot? Once booted to Windows does the network adapter work? 

HP Recommended
Product number:L0L20PA#ABG
Note book model: HP pavilion 15
Serial number: 5CD5133L33
Bios version: F. 36
Im not very tech savy and im very unsure on how to tackle this problem.
HP Recommended
And it does not boot to windows, instead it comes up with they black screen with the message "boot device not found". Im very unsure on wether i need to change something in my system Configuration or wether i need to replace something.
HP Recommended

Need to run diagnostics on the memory and hard drive to start:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-p200-notebook-pc-series/7486459/videos

HP Recommended
I passed the memory test but i cant seem to do the hard drive test as it has:
smart check: not installed
Long dst: not installed
I have an exlamation mark next to the network adapter and i dont understand what it means and what the network adapter is? And is my hard drive the problem or a loosefaulty cable?
HP Recommended

This means the system is not detecting the presence of a hard drive. Most likely it has died but there is a small chance the cable is disconnected or bad. With no hard drive the system keeps looking for sources to boot and very advanced users can set up the system to boot over the ethernet cable from a server. The network adapter as boot device is irrelevant to you since I am sure you do not have that set up. Likely you have PXE (network boot) disabled in the BIOS which is what you want. The real task here is to access and evaluate the hard drive connection and then assuming it is connected OK but is dead (99%) to replace the hard drive and reload Windows. Unfortunately it is unlikely data can be recovered from the old drive if it is electrically dead. But Microsoft has made it very easy and free to get a copy of Windows 10 to reinstall. 

Manual

Look at pages 45 and 69. Your model is not super easy to disassemble. 

Post back with any more questions but please accept as solution if this is the information you needed. 

HP Recommended
Thankyou so much for your help, ive already opened it up and it looks like everything is connected, thankfully i dont need anything that was previouslyon there. Would you recommend taking it to a store to get it fixed/harddrive replaced?
HP Recommended

If you can open it you can replace the hard drive. Save yourself some serious money. Go to the store just to buy a hard drive. 2.5 inch SATA hard drive. They sell them at Wal-Mart now. Any brand will work as long as 7mm or 9.5 mm thick which is what you find in stores. Put the new one in the same place as the old one with the same caddy and screws. With a working computer on the internet go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site and it will download Windows 10 and make you an installer usb disk on a flash drive at least 4 gigs (8 is better) and use that to reinstall Windows. Drivers and factory apps are available here at this site. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.