Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i have a PROBOOK4540s. Suddenly getting blue screen with messages KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR and then KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. The diagnostics made on the UEFI said that the hard drive failed, but when i removed the hard disk and checked it with an external drive, there were no problem. the hard disk was accessible. i managed to backup all important files and formatted the drive. when put back in the laptop, now getting a screen with boot device not found and the screen UEFI below.

IMG_1976.JPG

However i recall that the 1st UEFI screen i made the diagnostic of the drive before formatting was not like this. it was much more graphical. Now i am always getting this UEFI screen, after the system diagnostic still shows boot device not found - please install an operating system - Hard disk (3F0). i even disconnected the CMOS battery in an attempt to reset the BIOS, but at startup it never goes in the graphical bios. Same simplified UEFI is seen version 1.6.0.0 (seem an old version) Can you help on this? Is the hard drive still good and is the motherboard damaged?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, 

If the bios is different, it could be a secondary one.

Have you tried pressing ESC (or F10) x times (just after the moment you power on your computer) and select recovery mode?

Have you tried this also?

If the hard drive works when plugged externally, it could be that you have lost your BCD (boot configuration data) which allow your hard disk to be recognised as "bootable".

If you can access boot options from the bios, you could try to restore your BCD with a usb key or another bootable device properly configured. There are several ways to do that: with Windows bootable media, third party software like easybcd

HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not entering UEFI diagnostics because you have wiped the drive. The Uefi diagnostics is on the Hard Drive. It is still giving you the BIOS diagnostics as it is not on Hard Drive but in firmware. If you run the Hard Drive test does it still give you an error?

Usually if during Uefi diagnostics you receive an error code for the Hard Drive, you need to replace the Hard Drive.

You could try reinstalling the OS on the drive. Here is a small guide:

Download media creation tool from Microsoft on PC (different PC), run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. (there is an explanation on the Microsoft web page on how to create the pendrive). Create the drive with Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition. Windows will automatically activate once installed and connected to the Internet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose this option you will need to use the pendrive to perform a clean install of Windows 10. You might need to disable fastboot and secure boot in BIOS (probably not). So, insert the pendrive in the PC and it should boot directly from the drive. If not, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and immediately keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F9 and choose the pendrive in the boot menu. Once it boots from pendrive follow the procedure to install Windows.

When finished installing allow Windows to completely update and find all or most drivers. You can follow this process by going into settings > Security and update > click on Verify for updates. You might need to reboot a couple of times.

I recommend installing HP support assistant which will help keep your drivers up to date and much more. You can download the latest version from here.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Once completely updated you can go into device manager and see if there are any missing drivers (there will be yellow exclamation mark next to the device). You can find these drivers and software on HP support page for your product.

If it works, you should still consider replacing the drive or even better replace with an SSD which would also increase performance of the notebook.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended
Hello MOMO, I have done this after the HP logo screenboot startup but the next screen is the UEFI which I cant understand why it is not going to the BIOS utility screen or the other UEFI screen which is more graphical That is the main problem I am not able to access the original BIOS utility screen. why is that so?
HP Recommended
hello, not sure that will work. the most strange thing is that it is going to the basic uefi screen whatever you do. how to change bios boot option to pen drive if it is not accessing the bios utility?
HP Recommended
key press combination will not work as I have already formatted the hard drive.
HP Recommended

@didierh72 wrote:
key press combination will not work as I have already formatted the hard drive.

Ok, if your hard drive is formatted, disregard the part when I explain how to rebuild BCD.

You now need to have your bios back in place and reinstall Windows.

What about restoring the bios via flash usb? Please have a look at this article  (Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive)

HP Recommended

Hello Momo,

i tried the USB BIOS flash recovery but nothing happens, Screen remains black with laptop being on. Fan working but nothing happens. I think the issue is the motherboard. think it has failed?

HP Recommended

@didierh72 wrote:

Hello Momo,

i tried the USB BIOS flash recovery but nothing happens, Screen remains black with laptop being on. Fan working but nothing happens. I think the issue is the motherboard. think it has failed?

Mmm...not sure at this point, as a last thing you could try to reset CMOS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.