Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17t-an100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to note that I am brand new to using the HP Community so I would ask that you please excuse any problems with my posting etiquette. I would also like to note that I have had an eight plus year run with an HP Pavilion dv7-6163us Entertainment PC and have gotten some really good use out of it. Thanks to HP and thanks in advance to the HP community for any help in resolving this potential issue.

Some of my laptop specifics are:

• OMEN by HP - 17t-an100 CTO with product number: 3MP13AV
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro version 1903 Build 18362.476 x64-based PC
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750 CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 MHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s); AMI BIOS
  • 256 MB Liteon Solid state Windows (C:) disk, 1 TB HGST SATA hard data (D:) disk, 32 GB RAM,

The power to the laptop simply ‘cuts out’ for no apparent reason after about sixty seconds of sitting on the Startup Settings page. It will do this repeatedly. I am trying to attach a video (HP OMEN RECOVERY SHUTDOWN1.mp4) of the unexplained power shutdown which shows two occurrences of it but I am having serious problems using the INSERT VIDEO function on this page. If someone can help me with the problem I am having inserting this video, as shown in the following inserted image, I would greatly appreciate it because the insert video button isn't enabling. Where does a video need to be stored on my OMEN to enable the 'Insert Video' button 'From My Videos' option? problems posting video to HP community issue.jpg

In the video, the first restart wouldn’t go to the BOOT STARTUP MENU but I am not sure I depressed the <ESC key> soon enough.

I have reproduced this unexplained occurrence many times and the power shutdown occurs each time after around sixty seconds.

I can’t find any files associated with the time of the unexplained shutdowns.

I can’t find anything in the Computer management > Event viewer related to it.

Windows updates are current.

I first observed this behavior on 11/22/19 but I can’t say that it wasn’t present before that date.

I am not sure if this shutdown behavior is intended or unintended by HP/Windows 10 Pro? I have also sought HP tech support for this (Case number 5040974499) on 12/3/19 but have yet to hear back from them. I have also addressed this problem with Microsoft tech support and posted on the Microsoft Windows Feedback Hub but it has yet to be resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry about the less than ideal video from my PAV (when I actually figure out how to get this video posted).

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

HP Recommended

Hello.

Thanks for the initial insight into checking out my OMEN system. I have run almost all of the symptom tests and have run many of the comprehensive tests including ('?'). I am still having problems posting my video as a means of showing where the unexplained shutdown is occurring and what is actually happening. I have made a new video named 'HP OMEN RECOVERY SHUTDOWNII.mp4' which didn't include my account picture, included two occurrences of the unexplained shutdown without a missed <ESC> sequence to the Startup menu, was done in the 'dark', and which was (in general) a better video. I am still having problems inserting the video 'From my videos' to this interface? I have searched on the HP community for insight into my problem as well as having searched the web and can't find any solutions towards the 'video insert' problem nor the unexplained shutdown occurrence. I am not having problems with 'insert pictures' into this interface. The video insertion problem is the same as was stated in my original Community outreach (see picture and details in original post). I would prefer not to have to provide a web link to the video to enable Community viewing but could do so. Does HP have a server (besides that which they provide with new OMENS) that I might post my video to? Any insight and/or links to help me insert a video 'From my videos' would be greatly appreciated. This new video was just created today (12/9/19) and thus the unexplained shutdown is still occurring (each time at approximately sixty-six seconds). It is approximately 41.2 MB and is an MP4 created from a WMV. I need to know if this unexplained and consistent shutdown occurrence is intended HP/Windows 10 Pro behavior or not and would greatly appreciate some insight!  Thanks in advance for any additional help - CAW3. 

HP Recommended

Sorry but I am out of ideas.

66 seconds in would suggest a driver problem, as the POST and BOOT have happened.

Other than SAFE MODE  to progress thru the startup sequence.

HP Recommended

Thanks again LBB.

FYI, I just wanted to clarify that my OMEN laptop will boot in normal startup mode. The unexplained shutdown behavior occurs when I (re)start and boot to the F11 System Recovery screen, then maneuver to the Startup Settings screen, then click the Restart button on the Startup Settings screen, and then sit on the next Startup Settings screen for approximately 66 seconds. The OMEN shuts down after approximately 66 seconds. I have seen nothing on the web or in the HP Community or in the HP manuals which describe this behavior. It is very easy to visualize with the video that I created. I still have not heard from HP support regarding the support request I made.

I am going to continue to try and insert the video which I created. It shows the questionable and unexplained HP OMEN computer Startup Settings screen to shutdown behavior. I have to believe that someone out in the HP community can help once the video is made available for viewing. This is a little more information on my problems with 'Inserting video' 'FROM MY VIDEOS':

further insight into display videos problem.jpg

I added the red circle with the line which occurs when I hover over that button but I am not sure why it occurs (and which doesn't show up in a screen dump). I am a website creator and publisher and have access to a hosting server which I could publish the video (HP OMEN RECOVERY SHUTDOWNII.mp4) to. I could then (I hope, if the HP webpage/tools and/or my computer allow it) provide a link to the video for viewing.

I can't help but think there might be problem associated with the 'I certify that I have the right to distribute these videos and that they do not violate our terms of use'  statement in the Video Alignment > Inline selection box. Do I need to get some sort of special permissions from HP to post a video with this type of content? Are there some User Submission rights I have to get okayed or acquire? I would be happy to contact the HP legal department to get any sort of okay that I might need though I am not an attorney? I have tried many things which could potentially affect this (enabling cookies, normal and in-private browsing modes, disabling my VPN, disabling my SmartFirewall, putting the file in a 'Public' folder on the Windows C: drive, putting it in different Windows Videos folders, etc.) and nothing has worked as of yet.  Any direction or insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry in advance if this ends up being intended HP and/or Microsoft Windows 10 Pro behavior (but I doubt it is).

Thanks in advance for any insight and for your continued attention to this matter,

CAW3. 

HP Recommended

Hello LBB and HP Community,

First off, thanks to the HP Community who let me know that the method I was attempting to use to upload video via the 'Insert Video' dialog interface button wasn't supported by this community platform.

I believe I have found a way to make the video of my HP OMEN unexplained shutdown behavior viewable. This link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJSflApcSaOGM8GxpPgCbjADNBmemycC/view?usp=sharing should help the community in visualizing and understanding what is occurring with my OMEN. I believe this link is configured correctly but if not, please let me know. Again, thanks in advance to LBB and any other community members who can help me in understanding and/or resolving this potential problem.

Best regards, CAW3 

HP Recommended

Greetings HP Community,

Some of my laptop specifics are:

1)  OMEN by HP - 17t-an100 CTO with product number: 3MP13AV

2)  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro version 1903 Build 18362.476 x64-based PC

3)  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750 CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 MHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s); AMI BIOS

4)  256 MB Liteon Solid state Windows (C:) disk, 1 TB HGST SATA hard data (D:) disk, 32 GB RAM

As I have previously noted, I am brand new to the HP Community forum so I hope I am not violating any decorum and/or etiquette rules.

I have submitted a prior HP outreach and the specifics are given in this link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Boot-gt-Esc-gt-StartupMenu-gt-F11SystemRecove...  

Being  new to the community, I believe I might have hampered getting my problem resolved by not being familiar enough with the Platform interface. I did attempt to resolve this quite diligently on my own. This was resolved (through a private response) from the HP Community to another outreach and the specifics are given in this link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/Problems-with-Inserting-video-FROM-MY-V... 

I have now figured out how to include a link to video of my HP OMEN unexplained shutdown behavior. The link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJSflApcSaOGM8GxpPgCbjADNBmemycC/view?usp=sharing 

I believe that someone in the community can very likely watch this video and let me know if this HP OMEN behavior is HP intended or not. If I had better known how to provide a link to my video, I am pretty confident that the original responder would have been able to much better understand and provide a solution to the unexplained behavior. My apologies. Their last response gave me the impression that they were "Sorry but I am out of ideas". This was before I was able to provide a link to the video for their inspection. I don't believe this is a repost but if it is, I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to violate any rules. I am simply trying to get a potential problem addressed, one that I have addressed with HP tech support (Case number 5040974499) on 12/3/19 but which I have yet to hear back from them regarding. Note I am only about 100 days into my warranty. I have also addressed this problem with Microsoft tech support and posted on the Microsoft Windows Feedback Hub but it has yet to be resolved. It is important for me to know whether my OMEN is shutting down on its own in HP intended fashion and this should not be difficult for me to ascertain, particularly for a very high-end laptop system such as this.

Please help me to know whether my HP OMEN unexplained shutdown behavior is HP intended or not.

Sincerely, CAW3

HP Recommended

Hi @CAW3

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the shutdown issue. 

Let's try updating the computer using these steps -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Download and install the BIOS from this link.

If the issue still persists, try running an extensive test -

1) Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2) Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3) On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4) Click Extensive Test. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita,

Thanks for your response to my outreach.

I was curious if you had seen the video of my HP OMEN unexplained shutdown using the link I have provided. The link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJSflApcSaOGM8GxpPgCbjADNBmemycC/view?usp=sharing

I am still trying to resolve this problem and your suggestions are helping. I was curious about your BIOS download and install suggestion. My HP System diagnostics shows BIOS Revision F.09  as does the BIOS settings page itself when I boot to it. The link you provided references F.09 Rev A. Is there a difference between BIOS F.09 and BIOS F.09 Rev A? My OMEN was delivered from HP near the beginning of September 2019 and the release date on the BIOS you suggested is May 10, 2019. Please also let me know if you have viewed the video and any impressions you have?

Best Regards CAW3

HP Recommended

@CAW3

I have watched the video. Does the shutdown happens only on the Startup Settings?

There's no difference in the BIOS, it is the same version. If you already have the BIOS version F.09 Rev.A installed, there's no need to update the BIOS again.

I'd also suggest performing an extensive test -

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4. Click Extensive Test.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.