Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Issue: Turns on with back light and a few seconds later turns of with out ever getting to the HP logo.  It then proceeds to restart on its own only to repeat what it had just done.

At first i thought it was just a boot loop and tried the following:

- Hard reset on the power (removing battery, AC power, all attached devices and holding the power button for 30 secs)

- Use windows recovery tools (hitting the ESC button and using F# to perform action) ~ This only causes the computer to shutdown

- Removed RAM to rest flash memory (also the HDD)

After the above did nothing I used the System Extensive testing program to check hardware, everything passes (battery said "ok (1)"

I noticed that the BIOS was out dated so I downloaded the latest BIOS for my motherboard (from HP) and successfully updated it. (Still no change).

Decided I'd just do a clean install of windows to remove what ever was causing the issue.

- USB key with windows 10 tool

- Changed boot in BIOS to USB 

Ends up doing the exact same thing.  Completely unable to use recovery tools to do anything.  I can only access the BIOS and get no where else.

I've looked around and don't see any damage, there where no spills, never dropped.  System testing says hardware is good so it must be something software unless there is something in the hardware that the test does not check and is causing the problem.

I've never had to post to get an answer but here I am just to fix my father's computer.  Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

~ChrisSystem TestSystem Test

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did create a USB Recovery Kit through Windows 10 but it did the same exact thing.  Attempted to use the System Recovery using the Recovery Media from HP but ends up doing the same thing.  

FIXED:

Took it to a local computer shop and they had an idea what it could be.  Turns out in the BIOS settings UEFI boot got changed to legacy boot for the type of reading of HDD, SSD and USB.  A simple change of the setting squared everything away. 

Cost: Absolutely nothing.

Updated with google search link:

Link below is a google search to change legacy boot to UEFI boot

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+change+legacy+boot+to+uefi&oq=how+to+change+legacy+&aqs=chrom... 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@xXNobodyXx

I have gone through your Post and I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Since all the Test passed, this is likely to be an issues with the Windows OS

Did you create the USB Recovery Kit through Windows 10? If you did and the issue persists, I suggest you try a System Recovery using the Recovery Media from HP

You can contact HP Support for the Recovery Media

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you and have a great weekend

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did create a USB Recovery Kit through Windows 10 but it did the same exact thing.  Attempted to use the System Recovery using the Recovery Media from HP but ends up doing the same thing.  

FIXED:

Took it to a local computer shop and they had an idea what it could be.  Turns out in the BIOS settings UEFI boot got changed to legacy boot for the type of reading of HDD, SSD and USB.  A simple change of the setting squared everything away. 

Cost: Absolutely nothing.

Updated with google search link:

Link below is a google search to change legacy boot to UEFI boot

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+change+legacy+boot+to+uefi&oq=how+to+change+legacy+&aqs=chrom... 

HP Recommended

@xXNobodyXx

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.