Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN HP Laptop 15 (2018) dc003nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OMEN 15 2018 laptop, the battery died and because the warranty has expired I can't get a replacement quickly. When I removed the battery, the message CMOS Reset 502 appears, (this model does not have a RTC / BIOS battery, so the battery acts as the CMOS battery) then the laptop restarts and works correctly. My questions are:

-Can I use the laptop without the battery despite the CMOS message?

-Will this cause problems in the future?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SIX3LA 

HP Laptop 15 (2018) dc003nr is an invalid model/product. I think your machine is

OMEN by HP - 15-dc0030nr

You are right, it does not have RTC battery. Error 501/502 normally is for main battery. Battery on my Omen 15-dc0071tx is dead, I use it w/o battery now but I do not use it very often (only once or twice a month).

The down side when running machine w/o battery is: when loosing AC power suddenly your machine would get unpredictable damages, specially the HDD.

I have UPS therefore I can run 3 notebooks/laptops w/o batteries now (I also have 2 Dell machines w/o batteries) but in your case, my suggestion, buy a new battery as soon as possible. The cost of battery for my Omen is frightening: around A$226 from HP Australia, the old one is 2 years old and around 2 x 12 x 2 charging cycles.

Regards.

Regards. 

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks!, you've helped me a lot. I also have an UPS to prevent damage from power outages and use the laptop while I get a new battery.

PD: You are right about the model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.