Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Model: 15-n020us

Ser:  

Product: E8A65UA#ABA

Battery: 728460-001

I started having problems with my laptop starting with a couple of shuts downs while working. I rebooted and kept working til I started having problems rebooting. I did the battery removal, hold start button down 15 seconds, etc.  Never got it to reboot successfully.  I started seeing a variety of msgs which I list below:

'diagnosing pc'

'windows didn't load.....restart'

'preparing auto repair'

I saw this one the most:

'the CMOS checksum is invalid, the CMOS will be reset to the default config and will reboot. Please check the options to see if they change CMOS reset (502).  Enter - reboot the system'

The pc kept trying to perform the CMOS reset.  The morning I was taking it in for service, I tried one more time and it was able to complete the process and the pc hasn't had a problem since.  Afraid to shut it down now.  However, I have to keep the pc plugged in because the battery is not charging.  It is 6 years.   Waiting for delivery of 728460-001 aftermarket battery. The charging  light continually blinks orange.  It seems the plug is loose which could be the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated as to the CMOS resetting and the battery not charging would be appreciated.

Thank you 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@BBLeigh

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:
After the computer starts, a second message is displayed to indicate that the BIOS has been reset. This is an informational message and no additional action is required. However, if this error occurs more than once, there could be an issue with the installed version of the BIOS, and you should install an updated BIOS.  To resolve a BIOS issue, install the latest BIOS for your computer. See Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers for more information.

Refer to one of the following links for information about restoring the BIOS on your computer:

If needed, contact HP for assistance in resolving this issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.