Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have (somehow) dual booted Ubuntu 19.04 and Windows 10 Home Single Language on the aforementioned model of my laptop. However, dual-booted or not, I have always faced issues with Linux on my laptop - especially Fedora and other non-Debian distros.

Whenever I try to boot any non-Ubuntu/Debian OS, the boot verbose always hangs at watchdog detected hard (at times soft) lockup on CPU<number>. This seems to be a problem with the laptop as the same ISO (same USB) works on any and every other device. I tried a lot of solutions out there on Google as well as Stack Exchange websites to no avail. The guys at Stack Exchange redirected me here. Please help me as I need to get a Pentesting distro such as BlackArch installed before July, the 20th.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Uchchay 

I'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Respected sir,

I know that HP doesn't support Operating Systems other than Red-Hat. But will you please be able to tell me where I can get good support as the Linux people aren't helping. Also, I have the basic one year warranty. Will this warranty be void if I try to flash the HP firmware on my own? Thank you for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.