Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to get a new hard drive for my Probook 6560b and, since the BIOS is UEFI, I can no longer boot into the BIOS but instead whenever I attempt to I am redirected to the system diagnostic screen.  Searching around on this site led me to the conclusion that I needed to re-flash the BIOS.  I attempted to follow the instructions here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833 but am running into issues.

The BIOS files I am directed to (SP85528) contain an Installer.exe file that seems to be fairly old.  When I run it on a desktop computer (not the Probook obviously since it can't boot), it asks me if I want to install the EFI partition to my hard drive or a Flash drive.  I choose Flash drive and then receive this message:

"HP_TOOLS Partition cannot be found on USB Drive.  Would you like to create it?"

This is a bit scary because I have a few drives connected to my computer via USB; I clicked Yes anyway but then the application closes with apparently nothing changing.

I take the drive over to the laptop anyway and plug it into the USB port and reboot and absolutely nothing different happens.

So is there anybody out there who can give me a hint?  I'm just about at my wit's end trying to get this thing to work again.

UPDATE: Just so everyone knows, I have been trying many troubleshooting steps.  The first involved starting the computer with the windows key and B pressed at the same time.  Doing this will actually cause the computer to turn on with a black screen and the LED on the caps lock key will blink continuously (without end and without pattern).  Within a minute or so the case fan will then switch on at full power.  At this point the computer can only be turned off by disconnecting power and removing the battery (I tried to get it to turn off with the power key by holding it for up to two minutes with no response from the computer).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got it working!!!

So here's what I did:

The SP85528 softpaq came with an exe called HPQFlash.exe, but whenever I would open it I would receive an error about not being able to find the ROM.CAB file.  There were two .CAB files included: 68SCE.CAB and 68SCF.CAB. 

Based on some error messages in log files, I noticed the map.ini file was being used to determine which CAB file to use based on the SYSTEM_ID.  I took a stab in the dark that the SYSTEM_ID was equivalent to the System Board ID as displayed in the system diagnostics screen and, sure enough, it did match one of the entries in the map.ini file, specifically 68SCE.CAB. 

So I renamed this file to ROM.CAB and then tried to launch HPQFlash.exe again and it worked!  Using the USB drive to flash the BIOS failed, though.  Luckily, I searched the error message and found this wonderful post that contained the secret: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Probook-6560b-BIOS-issue-with-...

Specifically, the following section:

@otaku12@frank7d wrote:

No .bin file and no .sig file in the extracted softpack. Only a 68SCE.cab archive, containing

2.5M Apr  6 17:45 Rom.bin

64B Apr  6 17:45 Rom.sig

256B Apr  6 16:35 efibios.sig

64B Apr  6 17:45 ver.sig

95B Apr  6 17:45 ver.txt

Copy and rename the .bin and the two .sig files as follows:

Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New/

2.5M Apr  6 17:45 68SCE.bin

64B Apr  6 17:45 68SCE.s12

256B Apr  6 16:35 68SCE.sig

Do not mess up the .sig and the .s12 files. Check the file length of 64B and 256B

I extracted the required files from the 68SCE.CAB and renamed them as directed to above and this time the BIOS update took!

System diagnostics confirms my BIOS was updated.  I am still unable to consistently gain access to the BIOS settings screen as F10 seems to randomly redirect to system diagnostics instead of BIOS.  It began working for me prior to the BIOS update but since then I've tried a few more times and each time I get system diagnostics instead of the BIOS settings.  Very frustrating.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I got it working!!!

So here's what I did:

The SP85528 softpaq came with an exe called HPQFlash.exe, but whenever I would open it I would receive an error about not being able to find the ROM.CAB file.  There were two .CAB files included: 68SCE.CAB and 68SCF.CAB. 

Based on some error messages in log files, I noticed the map.ini file was being used to determine which CAB file to use based on the SYSTEM_ID.  I took a stab in the dark that the SYSTEM_ID was equivalent to the System Board ID as displayed in the system diagnostics screen and, sure enough, it did match one of the entries in the map.ini file, specifically 68SCE.CAB. 

So I renamed this file to ROM.CAB and then tried to launch HPQFlash.exe again and it worked!  Using the USB drive to flash the BIOS failed, though.  Luckily, I searched the error message and found this wonderful post that contained the secret: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Probook-6560b-BIOS-issue-with-...

Specifically, the following section:

@otaku12@frank7d wrote:

No .bin file and no .sig file in the extracted softpack. Only a 68SCE.cab archive, containing

2.5M Apr  6 17:45 Rom.bin

64B Apr  6 17:45 Rom.sig

256B Apr  6 16:35 efibios.sig

64B Apr  6 17:45 ver.sig

95B Apr  6 17:45 ver.txt

Copy and rename the .bin and the two .sig files as follows:

Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New/

2.5M Apr  6 17:45 68SCE.bin

64B Apr  6 17:45 68SCE.s12

256B Apr  6 16:35 68SCE.sig

Do not mess up the .sig and the .s12 files. Check the file length of 64B and 256B

I extracted the required files from the 68SCE.CAB and renamed them as directed to above and this time the BIOS update took!

System diagnostics confirms my BIOS was updated.  I am still unable to consistently gain access to the BIOS settings screen as F10 seems to randomly redirect to system diagnostics instead of BIOS.  It began working for me prior to the BIOS update but since then I've tried a few more times and each time I get system diagnostics instead of the BIOS settings.  Very frustrating.

HP Recommended
For the record, I believe attempting and then failing to install Windows is what made it possible to enter the BIOS. After the successful firmware update I succeeded in installing Windows and all has been fine so far.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the very clear instructions! I have the exact same problem and setup. I'm on F.08. Got it only almost through, however. 

I cannot get pass the start screen of the BIOS update. No matter if I press enter or wait for the timer to run out, the process freezes and won't go further. 

Have tried USB BIOS's for both Win7 and 8.1., 32- and 64-bit.

Entered F10, ticked the BIOS update box. Stack the USB in, restarted. Managed to initialize the BIOS update. Did not pass:  Failed init of SMBIOS data. 

Also booted to F9 (Boot device options) and chose EFI file. Options were HpBiosUpdate32.efi or HpBiosUpdate.efi. The same Failed init...

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@Ips23
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Recover the BIOS using a keypress combination

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

If you are unable to recover the last working BIOS version, install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website using a USB flash drive.
Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833 to know more about Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.