Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G1 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was recently trying to figure out why my camera and bluetooth are not working. I found out that it may be due to old BIOS. Yes, I tried everything via device manager and adding drivers manually, it doesn't work. I cannot seem to access or update BIOS due to password which I never changed or touched... It would be nice to get some sort of file reset the password which seems some people got via the support.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Nick251 

<sigh> Why does everyone seem to believe that BIOS updates are Miracle Cures for everything that ails a PC? DO you have specific information indicating the BIOS update(s) that specifically fix each of these issues?  If not, then you are guessing and that guess can end up corrupting the PC and rendering it unusable.

There are no files available to reset the BIOS and since the password is encoded into the firmware and HP does not replace BIOS chips, you would have to pay a fortune to swap out the motherboard.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did not said that is is some "miracolous cure". Don't confuse me with someone who has no clue about what he's doing. I tried everything else I could think of, update drivers with the offical drivers from the  HP support site, tried to install them manually, checked as much as I could to see if any cable is detached, researh the forums... The funny fact is it just stopped working one day. I even tried to update drivers with the HP Support Asisstand, the BIOS update is even marked as critical update. As someone who paid for the product, don't you think I should have the possibility to somehow reset the **bleep** password? This kind of BIOS protection is ridicilous, like what am I going to do in it? I can bypass windows admin password within 5 minutes and "destroy" the laptop if I want to. This kind of BS only aims toward bringing products to offical repair shop, nothing else.

Over & out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.