Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inherited a Spectre Notebook (Model no. 13-3018ca) after a friend of mine passed away and I am trying to access the BIOS to load a backup of my desktop configuration. It is equipped with the M.2 2280 SATA SSD and in order to copy the OS from my Windows 10 desktop, I need to set the boot order to boot from a Macrium Reflect image on an external SSD. When I try and access the BIOS it requests a password which I obviously do not possess. My friend doesn't appear to have recorded this password anywhere.

Is there a means of overriding the password or resetting it to a default somehow? This is very frustrating as the notebook is useless to me as is!!

I can supply the details of the deceased owner, serial numbers or any other info you might require if necessary.

I hope someone out there can assist?

Regards

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Rod1813 

Sorry, but no one from here can assist in this.

For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.