Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G3
Linux

I have created a USB stick in order to update my BIOS to v1.17 for the Skylake fixes. However, the option to Update BIOS from Local Media always says that no BIOS file is found. My USB stick partition is labeled HP_TOOLS, my top level directory is named Hewlett-Packard, and it contains subdirectories BIOS and BIOSUpdate. BIOS has a subdirectory named New, which contains file N78_0117.bin. BIOSUpdate contains all files from sp81023 folder BIOSUpdate, including files HpBiosUpdate.efi and HpBiosUpdate.sig

Also, I took the USB stick to a friend's Windows PC and verified that it is FAT32 and all the files and folders look correct under Windows.

So, after digging for days, I found the HP EFI Guilelines manual (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01564727.pdf). It states that I should select "UEFI Boot Mode" in System Configuration -> Device Configurations, and then I should be able to access "Boot from EFI file". My BIOS Settings do not have a System Configuration menu. Further, I have thoroughly explored all BIOS Settings menus and sub-menus, and I cannot find anything resembling "UEFI Boot Mode" or "Boot from EFI file".

How do I choose these settings on a Probook 450 G3 so that I can run file HpBiosUpdate.efi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem is solved without having to set a BIOS option. What solved it for me was making the top level directory named "EFI", not "Hewlett-Packard". Also, I put the BIOSUpdate directory under the New directory, rather than under the BIOS directory, which was how I read or mis-read the documentation.

I will leave more complete details in response to another thread for the topic of upgrading BIOS without Windows.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The problem is solved without having to set a BIOS option. What solved it for me was making the top level directory named "EFI", not "Hewlett-Packard". Also, I put the BIOSUpdate directory under the New directory, rather than under the BIOS directory, which was how I read or mis-read the documentation.

I will leave more complete details in response to another thread for the topic of upgrading BIOS without Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.