Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream, model number 3-c010nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have been unable to get the PC to boot from a USB drive.

When I start the PC and press F10, I get into the BIOS, go to System Configuration, then go to Boot Options.

I use the F5/F6 keys to change the UEFI Boot Order to be:

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

USB Diskette on Key/USB hard Disk

OS boot Manager

! Network Adapter

In front of (to the left of) the "OS boot Manager" line is a right-pointing arrowhead.

I have not been able to get rid of the arrowhead or move it to be in front of another entry.

I press F10 to save and exit the BIOS.

The PC boots from the hard drive, not from the USB drive.

How do I get the PC to boot from the USB drive?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

With the USB flash drive in a USB port, instead of selecting the F10 option, select the F9 boot options menu.

From that, select the USB Diskette on Key/USB hard Disk, and press the Enter key.

The PC should then boot from the flash drive.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you for your quick response.  I had used F9 before, but that didn't take me to the boot options menu; I had to press F10 after pressing F9.  But I don't know if I had a USB drive in a USB port when I did that, so I followed your advice

With a USB drive in a USB port, I selected F9, the boot option menu, which displayed:

--- beginning of display ---

OS boot manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (HBG4e)

Boot From EFI File

up and down arrows to change option.  ENTER to select an option.

Press F10 to BIOS Setup Options.  ESC to exit.

--- end of display ---

I pressed F10 to enter BIOS options.

I moved " USB Diskette on Key/USB hard Disk" to the top of the list and pressed ENTER

The arrowhead stayed in front of the "OS boot Manager" line

Then I pressed F10 to save and exit

The PC booted from the hard drive.

Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to go into the BIOS setup (F10), enable legacy mode/disable secure boot, save the settings, restart the PC with the USB flash drive plugged in, do the F9 thing again and see if the USB flash drive shows up under the legacy boot sources list.

If so, select it, press the enter key and the PC should boot from the flash drive.

See this link for the settings to change.  Usually when you enable legacy mode it automatically disables secure boot.

HP Notebook PCs - Cannot Start Notebook Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanx for your suggestion.  After reading your reply and reading the information at the link that you supplied, I thought that it would work; but it didn't.  It isn't often that a computer beats me, but this is one time that a PC did.  Again, thank you for helping me, a total stranger.  Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I am stumped too.

You may want to try a different USB flash drive, try a different USB port, or use an external DVD drive if you are trying to reinstall W10.

With legacy mode enabled, a legacy list of boot devices should have shown up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.