Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV4 2040br
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello

My notebook is not booting, the only sign I get is the Scrool Lock and Caps Lock lights blinking repeatedly three times.

Important to mention that this laptop has a history of overheating and problems with its battery (battery was not charging anymore).

Thank you very much.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @FerrariLuis,

Match the sequence of 'blinks' to those shown in the table below.

Try to reseat the Memory 

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you GBL48

How do I  reseat the Memory?

HP Recommended

Hello @FerrariLuis

Here is the Manual : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01963667

See PAGE -4–10 AND 4–11

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you. Just to make sure I understood, the ideia is to remove the memory module and insert it back, to make sure that the contact between the circuits is good enough.

Correct?

HP Recommended

Yes !!

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

both memories removed and re-installed.

Problems not solved....I kept getting the same three times blinking...

HP Recommended

Try to Power on the unit without Memory Module.. If it continues to give you 3 blinks with and without Memory, it is confirmed to be an issue with Memory module.

Please contact HP and get a case logged to get Memory Module replaced.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello Techie

With memory modules the problem gets different. I powered up the computer and right after (2-3 seconds) it turned off...then restared the process by itself...started again and right after turned off... and so it goes.

Does it mean that the problem is not at the memory module?

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Hi, Lets try the last step:

Remove Battery, Power Cord and Memory Module.

Press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Put the memory module and power cord back.

Power on the unit without Battery.

If you still get 3 blinks, its an issue with Memory module for sure. If the unit has 2 memory slot, you can use the 2nd one too.

Hope this helps !!

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.