Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Gaming -17-CD0
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am no expert but have limited ability.  Just upgraded to Win 11.  I want to reconfigure my machine so that the 1Tb SSD becomes my main, i.e. C drive with Windows and all other software loaded just using the HD for documents.

Can this be done and in very easy to follow terms what do I need to do.

Most grateful  for any help and advice.

lennythelion  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seems to be a plan!.  Assuming you have backups of any important info from either drive and not on either drive but on separate media, I would wipe out both drives.  Installing the OS again on the SSD should not cause any changes to the data drive but it will also not take anything off the driver, either.  That is why I suggest wiping both and starting new.

Windows should install again with no problems on the SSD and then you can install any additional software - but telling them to be installed on the data drive.  Some will ask and then you can direct them to play nice.  Others might not ask.  Also directions need to be given to each process that wants to save data, directing each to a location set up on the data drive.

If some things need to be moved because they did not ask before going ahead and installing, you might want to try this little program I found - FolderMove

https://foldermove.com/

I have not tried it, so use at your own risk. 

It would be a good idea to make folders on the data drive to hold precious data in a folder you made ahead of moving any data to the data drive from the backups.  Do not just dump data to the drive but place in the folders you made to it, dividing into groups of like data.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

It is not clear as to what model is indicated by HP Gaming -17-CD0 

If you have already done the upgrade to Windows 11, then the drive where Windows 11 is installed cannot be changed to a different drive without redoing the install.  Since I am not familiar with the manner of how Windows 11 calls things,  what does the "This PC" equivalent screen show for the residing place for the OS now, and what does it show for any other spot to choose for the OS to reside?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Firstly, thank you for the courtesy of an early reply.  I suspect we are about the same age from your photo.

My machine is an HP gaming laptop with a 1Tb SSD drive a 246 HD drive which is set as drive C.  As the HD drive was getting full I thought I would reinstall my software onto the larger SSD drive.  However with some software this causes problems as the machine assumes that it should always default to C Drive.  This is a particular problem with my laser printer and publishing software.

Looking in 'This PC' on drive 'C' it shows the Windows file has Gb of date and was created on 5/6/2021 and on the 'D' drive it shows 30.7 Gb and was created on 7/6/2021. 

When I installed Windows 11 I thought that it would be on disc 'D', is that not so?

I am not sure if that answers your question or do you need any further information.

Many thanks

lennythelion 

HP Recommended

It is not clear as to what model is indicated by HP Gaming -17-CD0.  Please give the complete model number of the PC, so I can look up the hardware etc associated with this model.

Again,  if you have already done the upgrade to Windows 11, then the drive where Windows 11 is installed cannot be changed to a different drive without redoing the install. 

Assuming the PC has the TPM and there was a unguided install,  it most likely installed Windows 11 to the drive it assumes is where it should be, which is usually 'C'.  Still, once it is installed, it cannot be moved.

BTW: I'm 75

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Again, thanks for getting back and I’m about 18 months your junior. I am away on a break for about a week so am unable to check my laptop. If it’s ok, I’ll get the info and let you have it. On my return. 
I am wondering if this is going to be beyond my technical ability or will it be safer to find someone local who will be able to do this for me.

will contact you later.

lennythelion

HP Recommended

No worry, it is fine to wait.  Have a good time on break.

I will try to answer your questions and we can work it out.  If you decide that whatever steps are necessary to get where you want this to go are more than you wish to do, then take it to someone or get someone to help with the process.

Probably the worst it can be is make a backup of your data and then reinstall Windows 11 clean.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for being willing to wait and to continue to help, now i'm  back from a few days away and now down to serious business.

Computer details HP Pasvilion Gaming Model 1CD0526NA

Product No 7GR24EA#ABU

Ser No. [Personal Information Removed]

RMN:TPN-C142

I hope this is of use to you.

Prior to upgrading to Windows 11 I tried to reinstall Widows 10 onto Drive 'D' and thought I had succeeded.  So I reloaded all my progs onto the 'D' Drive.  However some of them did not seem to work correctly in as much they seem to have got confused and loaded parts of the programme onto 'C' Drive by default.  AS Windows 11 came out I thought by upgrading it might sort some of the problems out, but no.  Hence my request to change drive priorities.  However, I now realise the best way forward is as you suggest, and essentially starting afresh.  However, I am not sure how this needs to be done.  I guess it is necessary to change the drive priority first.

So, if you are able to advise me in fairly simple terms how to begin and the various stages, I would be most grateful.  I do realise that all programmes will need to be reloaded and I must firstly save all documents and data files but do I need to do anything extra.

I hope this is not too much to ask, but as age increases technology has a habit of leaving me behind.

Many thanks

Lennythelion 

HP Recommended

Checking the PC configuration - the SSD is 256Gb and the hard drive is 1TB.  In a normal setup the 256GB SSD would be the C and the HDD the 1TB hard drive D. 

The SSD is a M.2 drive and the HDD is a normal 1TB SATA drive.  The intent being the SSD would hold the OS and the HDD would be used to hold data and non-essential programs.  This gives good speed to the OS and whatever is installed on the SSD and a larger drive for data, photos and videos.

I might be wrong but the only way I know to make Windows use the 1TB drive is to remove the SSD from the M.2 socket and then install Windows.  Of course you could change the M.2 SSD to a 1TB drive and it would be solved.  They are getting less expensive, IE:  $100 - $125 US dollars.

Assuming you do not what to buy a larger SSD, then disconnect it from the SSD socket, install Windows on the regular 1TB drive and then either reinstall the SSD or leave it out of service.

FYI: getting inside some of these newer laptops is a chore and might challenge someone that has not done it or watched someone do it.  So I will let you ponder which route you wish to choose.  If it was me, I would change the SSD to a 1TB, reinstall Windows on the new SSD and then watch which programs try to use the SSD and instruct programs to use the SATA drive where possible.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Once agin, thanks for your speedy and extremely useful reply.

From what you say I think my best course of action would be to go back to the original configuration. ie Drive ‘C’ for the os and reinstall all my progs etc onto Drive ‘D’

That means I would appreciate any advice how I should set about this. If I just use the reinstall routine would it then reload the os onto ‘C’. Would the Drive ‘D’ then be cleaned of all the Os I installed.  Then I guess I would just reinstall all my software. Or would I need to reformat Drive ‘D’

again any advise will be gratefully received.

Lennythelion

HP Recommended

Seems to be a plan!.  Assuming you have backups of any important info from either drive and not on either drive but on separate media, I would wipe out both drives.  Installing the OS again on the SSD should not cause any changes to the data drive but it will also not take anything off the driver, either.  That is why I suggest wiping both and starting new.

Windows should install again with no problems on the SSD and then you can install any additional software - but telling them to be installed on the data drive.  Some will ask and then you can direct them to play nice.  Others might not ask.  Also directions need to be given to each process that wants to save data, directing each to a location set up on the data drive.

If some things need to be moved because they did not ask before going ahead and installing, you might want to try this little program I found - FolderMove

https://foldermove.com/

I have not tried it, so use at your own risk. 

It would be a good idea to make folders on the data drive to hold precious data in a folder you made ahead of moving any data to the data drive from the backups.  Do not just dump data to the drive but place in the folders you made to it, dividing into groups of like data.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.