Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I change the boot sequence on my laptop. I would like for the NVMe to boot before the SSD. I took the NVMe out to do some repair on the SSD. I reinstalled the NVMe and now the  SSD is the default boot disk. I'd like to change it back.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

My understanding is on HP notebooks that come with a M.2 SSD and a 2.5" drive, there is no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

So, if you added a M.2 SSD, there is no way to change the boot order that I know of.

You need to format the 2.5" drive so that it is nothing but empty space to store files on, and Windows will boot from the NVMe SSD all the time.

See this related discussion...

Solved: Re: M.2 NVMe SSD drive not showing in boot menu. - HP Support Community - 8052250

HP Recommended

NVMe m2 and the SSD are drives I installed myself and the m2 was the default boot drive. Here is the situation I removed the m2 card so I could reinstall the OS on the SSD. When I installed the m2 back into the laptop the order was changed, the SSD is now the default boot drive. I need to have the m2 drive as the default or first boot drive. Just as it was before I removed the m2 card and reinstalled the OS on the SSD. 

However I think I have the answer, I will remove the SSD, boot from the m2 drive then reinstall the SSD to see if that changes the order.

Thank you for your help..

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully that will work, because I don't know of any HP notebook where you can have an OS on both the 2.5" drive and M.2 SSD, and have it boot from the M.2 SSD.

HP Recommended

Well sir it worked I am now booting from my m2 card and the ssd is secondary. You have to go through the UEFI boot manager or press the ESC key in order to get to the UEFI boot manager to boot from the second drive. Yes I have Windows 10 on both drives Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  SSD and a Western Digital WD-SN750 1TB NVMe m2. I must say I don't hold to what is said by those at HP because when I purchased the laptop the manual gives information on how to upgrade and what types of drives works together and max GBs. When I asked about upgrading of course they followed the manual they also told me I couldn't exceed they values in the manual because they wouldn't work or may cause problems. For the past 3-4 years I have been using the drives listed above with no problems at all. How ever you were correct there is no way to change the boot order either in the UEFI boot manager or through the BIOS. In order to boot from the m2 first only one drive can be installed at a time. You have to boot from the drive you want to boot first then install the second drive, which I did and things are back to normal. I am a diehard HP fan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.