Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 6510b
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Getting blue screen on start-up asking for power-on password. I do not know code and after hitting enter 3 times I get an *. How can I reset the password? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
I'm sorry ,the OS is windows 10 64-bit.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you for the advise. 🙂 this makes sense to me but when I contacted HP Business Support I was told that a customized SMC.bin file was not an option. They told me that I need a new motherboard to reset the password and since my laptop is no longer under warranty that I needed to pay an authorized service center for the repairs. Might be time to trade in the old dinosaur for something new. Once again,thank you for responding to my question and kudos to you for that! 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome :generic:

If a smc file isn't applicable, there's an outside chance that the following method may work - this definetely will not work if 'Stringent Security' has been previously enabled in the bios.

Shutdown the notebook.

Unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.

Remove the rtc cell from the system board - see Page 74 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then leave the machine like this for several hours before replacing the rtc and re-assembling.

Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and start the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
You are awesome! I didn't have a service manual as I bought my notebook second hand but found one on Google . I went through the steps you described and everything is back to normal. Only had to remove the RTC for 10 minutes as per service manual before reassembly. This made my day as a new notebook would have put a large dent in my budget and learning something new is always nice. 🙂 thank you so much! Couldn't have done it without you.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Really good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello. Before I apologize not umum english temer vubec pomaha mi překladač 🙂 mam notebook 6710b compaq vyladím bios i failed to do at here try any but can be bothered arbitrarily with cd / usb problem rests in that when i install win 7 notebook is extremely slow to the desktop processor did not perform 100% do not know what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.