Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ58 255SA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My mother told me her laptop (on powering it up) started switching itself off and said cpu fan error 90b.

thinking it was the usual suspect (dust) i went through the motions but still getting 90b. Stripped it down, checked and minimal dust. cleaned it checked everything else was okay but still getting 90b.

Replaced the fan but still happening. But i noticed that (having not fitted the keyboard completely) i could still see the fan and it would try to move then stop. not even a 1/4 rotation but still getting some power. I turned it off and on restarting it i moved the fins with a screwdriver and it started working!

i've now had it on for over 2 hours and the fan is working fine, bu obviously having to manually start the fan isn't an option for my mother, so was wondering if anyone has any idea what's causing it and any possible solutions please? (i assume it's a power issue but no idea how to resolve it).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

no support HP?

surely i can't be the only person who's encountered this problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.