Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi-

So has there ever been a conclusive repsone to this issue from HP? Ive got the same issue and its tiring. WIll air clean it etc again. This si ridiculous and customers should get better treatment esp if its a design flaw. Hope someone reads this! Very informative info here

thanks

pronin2 in tx

HP Recommended

i got this computer used from my dad, hes had it for a few years and he said it needs work and overheats whenever you do anything that stresses out the graphics ( watch a video, look at a high res picture) , i figured it was just an updating issue. once i got it connected to the internet there was tons of updates for it from not being conected to the internet for quite some time.it still overheats, i have to set to shut off at 110c.  

i took it appart and gave it a good cleaning and took a peak arround. i noticed that theres a copper pipe running over top of the gpu and arround the fan, but the copper pipe doesnt sit on top of the gpu theres about a 1mm gap i was thinking about taking a copper shim and thermal pasting it on top to fill the void. 

other than this on ebay i found a replacement motherboard with a new nvidia gpu for $130, but this laptop doenst seem worth it. im going to install xp cause i prefer that to any windows and i think it will be a bit easier on graphics and try this trick with the copper shim and if that doesnt work its going on craigslist for $50 bucks cause hp doesnt have a recall for it and its way out of warranty aswell as i wasnt the original owner. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my CQ60 overheating and shutting down, I have speed fan running, but does not help.

I have noticed however that the overheating occurs after a sustained period of 100% CPU Usage. I have run every virus check and cleaned out my computer, turned off all un-necessary processes and services, however the problem perisists.

Ususally happens when everyday atleast once and specifically when using SKYPE Video Calling.

Hope this helps the discussion, any insight will be appreciated.

Thank-you

HP Recommended

Same problem here... There seems to be no solution to it. I just wanted to note that the info on top of the page tells us that there habe been more than 10,000 page views. That ought to tell you something about this problem. ..

HP Recommended

My Presario CQ60 overheats and automatically shuts down after running roughly 30 minutes.  The cooling fan

seems to be functioning normally and the air vents appears clear of any dust.  The left hand side of the keyboard

top and underside of the computer gets very hot.  Is there a fix to this problem or will it be more costly than the laptop is worth.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Had the laptop 1 1/2 years and has worked fine until recently. On the desktop it shuts down after about an hour of use. The left rear gets quite hot. Recently I lifted the laptop off the desktop by about 1/2" with two spacers for better air circulation. That did not help.

Any suggestions or something I  can do to fix this problem?

HP Recommended

the problem is with the heat sink,Here in Zimbabwe we have Hot weather and with AMD processor ,We get these problems

But its not the processor,its the heatsink,air cooling system,you need a replacement of the whole sink cooling system...

and you are done. if you are in ZIm my number is {Personal Information Removed} call me i will assist you

HP Recommended

I have had my Compaq Presario CQ60 running on Windows 7 for over 3 years.  After about the first year the display started to flicker occasionally and I noticed the fan was coming on full blast.  I ignored the symptoms until a few months ago it started to shut down with the blue screen of death and then restart on its own.  I propped up the laptop and put dry ice bags under the hot spot (next to the fan area).  This was allowing me to use the computer until it started to shut down after only 5 to 10 minutes.  I got frustrated and looked up remedies on the internet (it was gruesome since it kept rebooting on its own) and one fellow suggested that it was the display driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G graphics display adapter.  I tried the website he suggested but ended up down loading Driver Detective which will tell you what’s wrong with your driver set but wants money to let you download the driver.  Determined not to spend money and confident that I had found the problem I went into device manager and found the display adapter and right clicked on it and updated the driver software .  I did this 3 nights ago and not once since then has it rebooted or acted like it was excessively hot although I have run it continously for a few hours at a time.  I hope this solves your problem too.  Good luck

HP Recommended

mine started the same thing. tried to update drivers, but I have the latest. I took battery (you can find one for about 50$ and it lasts 6 or more hours. I shut down, unpluged, and used my air compressor to blow out fan and vents under , and vent on backside. mine has been running for 8 hours now and not overheating. I think the fans are getting too dusty to run correctly. hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Fixed it.  I read this thread this afternoon.  I also read the following link:  http://augustapcrepair.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/compaq-presario-cq60-215dx-overheat-repair/

Not having enough money to get my laptop evaluated let alone fixed and the fact that it was burning my leg and essentially useless, I youtubed the process and dissassembled my lapotop myself.  The problem was indeed either the cpu or the video chip or both.  Both share the same heatsink.  The Heatsink was inoperable as it was clogged with lint.

I removed nearly every last screw and dis-assembled the fan assembly.  It was loaded with lint.  The lint all but comletely covered the copper tube seen in the previous link.  Youtube dissassembly. There are several, I used this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNoIiObXHts

In terms of the thermal grease/compound.  I used a toothpic and took all the grease that formerly squished out during assembly and mounded it up in the center of the device so that it would squish out again during re-assembly.  You'll see what I mean.  Don't ignore this.  The thermal compound transfers the heat from the device to the sink.  Trust me, this is the most important part of the entire chain.  If I had the time I would have cleaned it off and installed new compound.  The lint could NOT have been removed any other way for example compressed air, dissassembly is manditory to fix this problem.  I'm on the laptop now and it's as cool as it was when new.  

Pay attention to the screws and the connections.  Take pictures if you have macro capability.  Take it slow and Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.