Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Presario CQ061 4165

Does not complete the boot process. Nothing on screen, LED beside the dc input : on. ok, Dc supply reads 19.3 v at connector. There are 3 sets of LED on the keyboard - 1=The one at the space bar, stays on. the other two ( at the Num. Lock and Caps Lock) flash once for about half a second with about a three second gap between flashes. They remain like that until powered off (long press of on/off switch)

I have tried a Hard reset, Cleaned the air ducts, reseating the memory cards ( also tried them in one at a time). Fitted a spare monitor and tried a "Windows" key with the "B key" recovery/"Windows" key with all four "direction arrow" keys.

On switch on, you can hear it trying to start: sounds like a fan noise and a disc starting for a fraction of a second.

Old machine but I'd still like to get some use of it.

Any ideas ?

Alan 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@QuadOAP 

Try running the hardware diagnostics.

To do that, press the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting.  When the HP Startup Menu appears, select diagnostics -- usually F2 -- and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response.

Tried your suggestion but it would not respond to the esc key.

I can maybe add a couple of things to the symptoms.

The fan is definitely running.

The disc drive opens when powers on( Led lights flashes). It looks like it is trying to read a disc. It flashes 13 times when booted with a disc inserted. Only flashes 3 times when the drive is empty.

Otherwise nothing.

Alan

HP Recommended

@QuadOAP 

Most likely, the PC is experiencing a major hardware failure. But, If you can not run diagnostics, then there is nothing more you can do by yourself -- and there is nothing we can do because we HERE have no way of diagnosing or repairing hardware problems.

You will need to have the PC physically examined in a service facility by folks that can run their own diagnostics to determine what is wrong with it.

Since your PC is no longer under warranty, then it will cost you up front to have HP examine your PC. If you want to do that, you will have to contact an HP Repair or Service Center to see if they can examine the PC to determine the cause(s) of the problems, if it can be repaired, and an estimate of the repair costs.

If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice. It is quite an old laptop and a I am not sure if it worth spending a lot of money on. I was hoping the LED sequence and the symptoms would give an indication of what area the fault lies. 

I was given this this computer from a relative and was told it had a GPU Reflow a couple of years back, so maybe not a very reliable.

I already have an up-to-date PC and Tablet but wanted something portable. I am recovering some vintage Quad Hi-Fi and wanted to use this laptop to run a USB Oscilloscope which I have, for audio testing. (Not really practical with a PC). Any old Laptop would be Ok as it can run on Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.