Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP forums! I have a HP Pavilion Notebook and I use Windows 10, and I've been having a few issues with my computer for a few months.

- The first issue is that my computer automatically restarts instead of showing me the Blue Screen whenever it's having problems, even though I turned "Auto-restart" off.

- The second issue is that sometimes when this happens (not always, but sometimes), all of my desktop icons will completely scramble themselves to the left side of my screen, and then I have to manually re-arrange them back to where they originally were - this happens even if "auto-arrange icons" and "align icons to grid" are both turned off.

- The third issue is that my parents have recently put a metal cage over our router which we keep in our living room) in order to keep the electro-magnetic fields from roaming around our house. My parents' electronics (two laptops, two phones and an Amazon kindle) don't seem to be having any problems with the metal cage - and they seem to still have almost-perfect Internet connection in their room, which is only a little farther from the living room than my room.

However, my computer has been having a lot of problems, and almost always, my Internet connection goes out, or nothing will load, or all of the websites I'm trying to get to will take a long time to load (we use a home network).

(and yes, I've asked my parents multiple times if we could take the metal cage off of our router, but they're not going to do that, so now I would just like to figure out how to get my computer's Internet connection to work while that metal cage is on.)

So if anyone can help me, it will be much appreciated! Thank you!

- BlueRose580

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BlueRose580

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You seem to have done everything that should have resolved the issue,

however, since the issue persists, I recommend you reinstall the OS as the last step:

Here's all you need to know about resetting the OS: https://hp.care/2t2d0IY

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BlueRose580

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your device is going through a bad time due to multiple issues on it,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you using my good charm spells to ward off the bad luck, that said, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you installed more than one anti-virus on the computer?
    • (if yes, remove one of the two to resolve the issue)
  • When was the last time it worked without these issues?
    • (Have you attempted to perform the system restore on your device)

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Since you haven’t been able to capture the error code or message that should appear on a blue screen as you've mentioned:

I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix: 

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings. 

• In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. 

• Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK. 

• Restart the computer to apply the change. 

• The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs. 

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2H1B89q

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

​​Please reply back with the error code as the issue is code specific and it would be rather easier to provide an accurate solution using the same. 

Also, I'm not sure how the metal cage would make any difference, however, since you think its impacting your connection, I respect that and here's what I suggest you do: 

The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

https://hp.care/2KyAYE1

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

(1) I only have one anti-virus on my computer, that being Malware-bytes.

(2) I don't exactly remember the last time my computer has worked without the issues, but my vague answer is many months ago (my closest guess is last September or October.) No, I have not attempted to perform system restore yet.

Also, I've had the check mark next to "automatically restart" in Startup and Recovery > System Failure off for a couple of weeks now (and I restarted my computer after unchecking it once I first saw that it was checked), but it just keeps restarting automatically whenever it runs into a problem.

However, a couple of weeks ago, it has given me only one blue screen error where the error's title that showed up was: "DPC Watchdog Violation Error", and I fixed that error shortly after I saw it. I used this website to fix it (http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128566/fix-windows-error-dpc-watchdog-violation.html) by updating my IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, which is just a Standard SATA AHCI controller.

After I got that "DPC Watchdog Violation" error, I ran both of the hardware diagnostic tests using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics - the system fast test and the system extensive test, and it has told me that all of my computer's components are just fine (which I know makes it confusing, because it just keeps restarting itself over and over, sometimes scrambling all of my desktop icons, which tells me that something is definitely wrong.) To this day, I haven't gotten the DPC Watchdog Violation error again.

In terms of having the metal cage over the router, I don't think there's anything I can do about it (even when my computer is next to the router, it usually works although it still has problems sometimes.)

- BlueRose580

HP Recommended

@BlueRose580

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You seem to have done everything that should have resolved the issue,

however, since the issue persists, I recommend you reinstall the OS as the last step:

Here's all you need to know about resetting the OS: https://hp.care/2t2d0IY

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.