Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
14-dk1003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchase HP 14 inch laptop with only 4 GB of RAM.   Computer locks up/freezes while using Firefox on the web.  Usually happens after extended time online (several hours).   Tonight totally froze...no mouse movement, nothing.   Had to do a warm boot to get working again.   Only had the computer about 4 days and keeps locking up.   Have run software and BIOS updates but still no improvement.   Have read reviews on this computer model and several people have commented that insufficient RAM for Windows 10 to function properly,   Why does HP sell something that does  have sufficient resources to operate properly?  Actual available RAM is about 3.5 GB.   Any comments or suggestions or should I just return the computer while still in 14 day return period.    Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@HikerP

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06205027 and let me know how it goes

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Already been there and done that several times to ensure all updates installed.   Still locks up while browsing with Firefox.   Freeze can last as long as several minutes.   From what I can tell, there is a generic problem with this computer having insufficient memory to operate properly under Win 10 64 bit.   Other users have said need to add at least 4 GB of RAM to solve the problem.

HP Recommended

@HikerP

Please run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m having the same issue w 2 of these we bought for family. Is there a resolution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.